Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 2.2l Manual
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My OB has the factory optional rear spoiler, which is great. However it is extremely faded and looking rather unsightly. My hope was to remove it and paint it black, however I could use some guidance on doing so. I'm assuming you would lift the tailgate and remove the trim pieces on the sides and surrounding the third brake light to gain access to the attachment points for the spoiler.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,555 Posts
FWIW, assuming here you're just going to spray can it, I think I'd just clean and scuff it good, then mask the car and paint it in place. Satin black would look nice. Use some old bed sheets, newspaper, and painter's tape.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,121 Posts
both ideas seem reasonable. (taking the interior trim off,

or just papering and taping off the car, nice 3m or high quality painters tape is great,
= cheap stuff is made to make you angry).

flat black may go on nicely with a brush, = less overspray,

maybe plasti-dip would also be appropriate,...and you can tear off / scrape off any overspray.

_____

and don't forget to put something on your eyes or over any eye glasses. a little splatter is normal. (like if doing it outside pick a day with almost no wind)

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,372 Posts
Recommend just taping off and spraying on car. MUCH easier and no change of making water leaks.

·
Registered
1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 2.2l Manual
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was really hoping to skip the masking method, but I do have a friend with all the appropriate tools for a high quality job.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5
992 Posts
Probably too late for the OP but at least the 3rd gen spoiler comes off easily. The clear coat was peeling so I gave it a light sanding and used some UV resistant Rustoleum clear spray. 2 years later it looks like leprosy hit the spoiler. Now whenever I back up, I have to yell out "unclean, unclean!" :surprise:

The good news is it won't be too hard to sand all that crap off and do a proper spray paint job on it. The bad news is the plastic below the rear window is starting to peel too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts