Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how to remove rear window tint without harming the heater grid?

The tint on my '01 OB creates a massive amount of distortion ( and the mirror makes it even worse - another item to replace!), almost making my head ache if I look at it much while driving. I know how to take it off ( ammonia and a razor blade as a scraper) on plain glass, but I cannot find anything about when it has been applied over a heater grid. If all else fails, I'll have to resort to swapping in the rear window out of the '01 Legacy wagon that will eventually get parted out.

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
602 Posts
Anyone know how to remove rear window tint without harming the heater grid?

The tint on my '01 OB creates a massive amount of distortion ( and the mirror makes it even worse - another item to replace!), almost making my head ache if I look at it much while driving. I know how to take it off ( ammonia and a razor blade as a scraper) on plain glass, but I cannot find anything about when it has been applied over a heater grid. If all else fails, I'll have to resort to swapping in the rear window out of the '01 Legacy wagon that will eventually get parted out.
*wink* it might be terrible if a rock tossed by a passing truck just broke out that back window.

·
Registered
2018 outback 2.5 touring
7 Posts
I saw on a episode of wheeler dealers they wet inside glass then applied black plastic and let it sit in the sun. window tint loosened up and came off. i would wait till summer to try.

·
Registered
2008 Outback limited 2.5l
41 Posts
Any method will always have some risk of damaging the defroster. A small steam cleaner works well. Any adhesive left can be removed with isopropyl or Goo gone with some elbow grease. Just take your time.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
1,810 Posts
I always use a heat gun or hair dryer. The heat softens the adhesive and allows you to remove the film and glue together.

I start in a corner or at one side and then heat the immediate area for maybe five to ten seconds and then pass the heat gun over the wider area to slightly warm it and then move back to the first area. This effectively results in the edge area being quite warm/hot and the wider area being warm.

Then grab the outer edge/corner and it should lift from the glass fairly easily (getting the first bit of film off the glass can be a challenge). Keep heating ahead of the film you are removing while keeping tension on the film and you will feel it pull away as the area is heated.

If you are doing it correctly the film and adhesive all come off in one go. If you do not have enough heat the film will not come away smoothly.

I have done this several times and although it takes a little skill it is quite easy to do.

Seagrass

·
Premium Member
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Funny that this would pop up again - I'm just going to swap in the rear window from my Legacy Wagon parts car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts