Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I bought a 2013 Outback Limited a month ago, and I am loving it. The car is great, and I've learned quite a bit by lurking on this forum for a few weeks.

I am wondering about removing the rearview mirror -- I find that it obscures too much of the front window. I haven't had any close calls, but I find it necessary to crane my neck up and down to look around the mirror at 4-way stops, etc.

Has anyone had a similar experience, or is it just me? I drove a truck the last 12 years, don't really use that mirror (rely a lot on side mirrors instead), and don't want my front view obscured. Any issues with removing the mirror that I should be aware of? Even mounting it higher would help...

Thanks,

tom.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was able to find a bunch of similar messages on the WRX forums. Nice to see I'm not alone. Pushing the mirror as high as it goes helps a bit. Having a longer swivel (the tube that fits onto the ball that's on the windshield) would let me move it even further up and out of view.

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy that particular arm in a longer length? Thanks,

tom.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,483 Posts
I know what you mean. The electronics in the mirror make it bulky and it sits too low and it can't be moved up enough to clear site through the middle of the windshield. Drives me buggy. I have a regular mirror, tilted up all the way to the headliner.

I don't know of any additional parts that would allow for moving it up. You could take the OE mirror out all together and install a Plain Jane mirror from an earlier model without the electronic features. Or, remove the windshield base and reposition it higher up.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
Call a widshield repair company. They have to remove and reseat mirrors all the time.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Call a widshield repair company. They have to remove and reseat mirrors all the time.
Don't do it! I have done it (indirectly) and the rear view mirror kept falling off my 2005 Forester. The "windshield" company had to move it off center because it would not stick to the original place on windshield!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
Don't do it! I have done it (indirectly) and the rear view mirror kept falling off my 2005 Forester. The "windshield" company had to move it off center because it would not stick to the original place on windshield!
You are preaching to the chior.;) I'm sure I will be pounded for this but, In my experience I've never seen a factory mirror fall off from defective attachment---the same cannot be said for a replacement/reglue. I would not remove a mirror unless the windshield fell out.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Well - there is always the first one for you OBnube.. but - to clarify, here you go!

I had the front windshield on my 05 Forester replaced twice (free of charge in FL)...
The replacements (assuming OEM) rear view mirrors kept falling off... there you have it.

Welcome to the club of sceptics like my issue with Weathertech window deflectors...that kept falling off.... LOL

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,370 Posts
^ I think OBnube meant that he's never seen a factory-installed mirror fall off; however for mirror replacement (OEM or aftermarket) the installation quality is not up to snuff.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
^ I think OBnube meant that he's never seen a factory-installed mirror fall off; however for mirror replacement (OEM or aftermarket) the installation quality is not up to snuff.
I guess - that's what he meant... you are right! Thus my clarification...that is why I said: Don't do it!

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
The OEM replacements came with pre-glued brackets... just to clarify!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you, everyone. My wife doesn't want me to remove the mirror, but since we don't really need any of the electronics I'll look for another mirror I can mount onto the same bracket. I was not planning on removing the bracket itself, don't want to risk damaging the windshield. I'll post an update when I got one. Thanks!

tom.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts