Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT 2.5
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,
So now that I'm only working three days a week I have a LOT of free time to do what I love to do. Play guitar and work on my 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT! I bought the car last year and have been doing just the general maintenance on it (oil changes, etc). When I bought the car I had the transmission fluid changed, a new battery put in, a tune-up and had the firing coil on the 4th cylinder replaced to clear an engine code that I had. (Which didn't work but I'll get into that later) I also replaced the rear wheel hub assemblies in December (wrong month to do that in CT myself).

So I have my list of things that I want to fix and address with this car.

1. Brakes were squeaking at me when I braked, I also was getting a HORRIBLE shaking sensation going on with the car if I go on the highway if I had been driving on the back roads beforehand, if I go straight to the highway it's usually not a problem. Also noticed a lot of smoke and burning brake pad odor coming from the driver side wheel well when the shaking happens. I ordered new pads and rotors thinking that would solve the problem. So last week when I went to put them on found that my pads and rotors were in like new condition with some excess brake dust built up inside the grooves on the pad which was probably causing my car to squeak like a mouse. When I looked closer I noticed that the inside pad on the driver side had been wearing unevenly, the bottom of the pad was much thinner than the top of the pad. This makes me think that the calipers may not be functioning properly. I was looking at upgrading the entire brake system to the Z26 Extreme Street Warrior by Power Stop. I'm not looking to do any racing but want that added piece of mind that it's a good quality system. I don't want to spend a fortune on a new system and $300 seemed reasonable. I have most of the tools I need but wanted a second opinion about this. A buddy of mine at work said it's a pretty easy job to do and I'm comfortable doing it.

2. Replacing the struts. Squeaky brakes + Squeaky struts = A WHOLE LOT OF NOISE. Last year I knew they needed to be replaced and brought to Monroe and **** near died when they said $1800 for the job. I know the parts are on the pricey side but NOT that pricey. I can get the parts for around $200. And of course any suggestions for doing the work myself would be appreciated.

3. Leaking Power Steering Fluid. Yep of course can't have a car without some leaking fluid of some type somewhere. Around February I found out the hard way that my car is leaking power steering fluid. So come spring I took time and thoroughly cleaned the engine, wiping down all the hoses and connections. I found that the leak is directly under the power steering pump which was a bummer I was hoping for a easy fix like a hose. Once again I'll replace this myself. I just replaced the power steering pump in a family members Cavalier but this looks a little more daunting.

4. **** CHECK ENGINE LIGHT! So when I bought the car about a week later the check engine light came on. I brought it to AutoZone and had the code checked and was told it was a Cylinder 4 Misfire. So I brought it to Monroe for a tune-up (couldn't do it myself had a broken wrist.) and they did the tune up and replaced the Firing Coil on the 4th Cylinder and the code was gone. For a week. So I did some research and found that the same code could be caused by an aging fuel cap causing I think it was pressure problems. Ordered a replacement from the Subaru Dealership and put it on and the problem happens less often but still happens. I bought a OBDII scanner from BAFX that connects to my phone and can clear the codes out myself. Which this is all great but would rather get the problem to stop. Anyone have any ideas? Besides Gremlins playing with my wiring!

5. Weird Electrical Oddity. Sometimes while driving I notice the interior illumination notification will for no apparent reason will start changing from ILL 6 to ILL 5 and go back and forth a bit until I reset it manually to ILL 6. No idea why this is happening.

6. Missing roof rack cross members. Anyone know what size or type of cross member goes on this roof rack? They are discontinued when I tried to order them from Subaru directly.

If anyone has any tips or tricks or suggestions about the repairs and problems I've listed I'm all for it.

Thanks,
Shilo

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,553 Posts
Sounds like quite a list!

1: Probably a hung caliper slide pin. Check the rubber boots between the caliper and bracket for tearing/splitting. The caliper should "wiggle" or "slide slightly" by hand when the brakes are disengaged. I would skip the Powerstop kit as the crossdrilled/slotted rotors are cool, but will actually decrease life of the pad/rotor. If you want some quality stuff, go for some coated rotors from Centric. Their 120-series "Premium" rotor is really nice. Team with some Hawk HPS brake pads for aggressive driving or higher-quality ceramics (Akebono, Centric, EBC) for longer, daily-driver life.

2. Monroe is now making "Quick-Struts"; complete, loaded strut assemblies. Super quick change-out, but near $150/corner. KYBs are an excellent replacement option as well if you're willing to transfer springs. Get new front top-hats (mounts), the rears are probably ok (but wouldn't hurt to replace)

3. I'd check the "reservoir-to-pump" hose for cracking or leaking near the inlet nipple. It's also possible the nipple-to-pump o-ring is bad and leaks as well. This is usually accompanied by a "growl" or "whine". The pump is rarely the culprit and the aftermarket remans are hit-or-miss quality.

4. Check for a vacuum leak around the upper-to-lower intake o-ring. These like to compress and leak over time and can cause single-cylinder misfires. inspect the coil pack wiring VERY carefully. Broken connector or frayed wires at the coil pack are common culprits. If all else fails, have a leakdown and compression test performed.

5. Try rolling the switch up and down rapidly. Sometimes the contacts can stick can cause issues.

6. Check car-part.com for junkyards that are offering take-offs. Usually near $150 for the pair, and some will come with the "rails" as well.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT 2.5
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks RoughDiamond,
Thanks for you feedback definitely VERY helpful!

Funny that you mention the Centric rotors, that's what I had ordered originally and still have so I'll follow your advice and use those with the pads that I ordered for now. In consideration of the calipers I think at this point I'd rather just replace them. They are severely rusted (see photos and that was after using a brass wire brush on them) and I found a pair of coated calipers from ACDelco for $110 a piece with a $45 core charge. Seems like the logical way to go. Considering replacing the hydraulic hoses as well considering it appears the the original ones are still on there but are in decent looking shape. The ones from Raybestos have all the clips and everything included. Was also considering getting a Vacuum Testing/Brake Bleeding Kit to ensure a thorough job. With the age of the car I figured having a way to test the Vacuum pressure as well as an easier way to bleed the brakes could be essential.

Thanks,
Shilo

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,124 Posts
Note the loose rock trapped inside the little nook / crannie under the driver's side hub; here's a cheap fix to eliminate a scraping / rattling noise!

·
Registered
2008 Outback Wagon LL Bean Limited 2.5i
838 Posts
Re: power steering pump

The seals on the pump might be going bad. Theres a reseal kit out there for those that are handy. Ive had this happen on my 06 and its beginning to happen on my 08

Re: uneven wear brake pads. I am leaning towards what was all ready mentioned. The caliper guide pins that the caliper slides on might have been contaminated with dirt and therefore the caliper is sticks and leans to one side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts