Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone aware of a repair manual available for the 3rd gen Legacy or Outback ? I know that Haynes only make a manual for the 2nd Gen Legacy, but not the "current shape" (in the USA).

What about Chiltern ? Anyone else ?

·
Administrator
4,270 Posts
Ya know, I've been in many different parts stores aross the U.S. and have never seen one for the Outback specific model. Very few for the Legacy, mainly for the older models. Sorry, but I think you're out of luck :(

Just extensively search throughout the internet, I'm sure someone has something similiar out there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Manuals

There is a (Subaru?) website where you can get a 24 hour unlimited download for $20, and I have understood the complete dealer service manuals are available as PDF's. Sorry I can't remember the link, and I am on my wife's laptop, so my 'Favorites' list is out of reach. Check the USMB (Ultimate Subaru Message Board) for the links. I also think Josh (Legacy777) has had his digital hands on the complete wiring diagrams, if that will help.
Wish I could give more, but at least here is a direction to start.

'K, I couldn't leave you hanging like that, the download site is http://techinfo.subaru.com/, and the time is 72 hours, not 24. I haven't tried it, but others have happily. Hope this helps:)

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
I have MY02 impreza (OBS) manuals I had to special order from Subaru. At around $280 it is steep but the manuals stack about 7" high and are very good. Haynes, Chilton haven't made any or made much for late model Subaru's. Brian

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bheinz57 said:
Haynes, Chilton haven't made any for made much for late model Subaru's. Brian

I sent an e-mail to Haynes asking if they had any plans to make a manual for the latest Legacy/Outback, and they said no :(

·
Registered
15 Posts
The Haynes Manual for the 1998 is useful for the later cars too. It's about $17. A lot of the information is similar to the <1998 and >2000. It's worth buying until something better comes along.

·
Registered
4 Posts
tech info website

That is quite the website, reasonably priced, and 72 hours of downloading pleasure, highspeed dont fail me now...
Take care, enjoying the snow up here in Nova Scotia!!
Polecat:2:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I bought a subscription and then found out that I was limited to 20 downloads per hour. This is a problem becasue the manual is broken into hundreds of PDF files all around 50K in size. Did anyone find a link to a complete service manual. Also the PDF files you download have some internal naming scheme so you you have to manually rename all of the files :(.

·
Registered
29 Posts
bheinz257 has the best answer here I think. The Subaru dealership is more than willing to sell you the complete service manual. These manuals are not cheap. However, you can not beat the detail and depth of their presentation. They are usually not written in the same fassion as Haynes/Chiltons which are usually much more user weekend, garage mechanic in nature.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
you can't beat a factory manual. i have an 02 OBS and have same problem, but have found that until i can afford the factory manual, i can stumble along with my owners manual and the old 2d gen Legacy Haynes....most of the procedures if not the precise #s and data are applicable....Sub tends to do things roughly the same way on many models.

the focus difference between Haynes and factory cuts both ways...factory photos etc are far better but they assume that you have the special factory tool while Haynes in particular is good abt showing you how you can improvise. and the Brit english is pretty funny at times.

bw

·
Registered
50 Posts
Isn't the manual on the 'techinfo.subaru' site the "factory manual" with the annoyance that it is cut into hundreds of small bits?

·
Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
1,211 Posts
Phobos said:
Isn't the manual on the 'techinfo.subaru' site the "factory manual" with the annoyance that it is cut into hundreds of small bits?
Not only that they now have limited the downloads to 20 files per hour :( You get 72 hrs for 20 bucks. I guess too many people made scripts to get all the files. It is a PITA to get the whole manual as you say but the price is right.

·
Registered
107 Posts
When I was at the dealer today, there were 9 manuals that covered the Legacy/outback. Fortunately, I don't need the three 4 cyl. engine manuals. That leaves 6 that I have to buy.

My question is:
Does anyone know the publisher of these manuals?

I bought my 2000 Honda CBR929RR, 2003 Honda ST1300A, 2004 Honda GL1800A, and my 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee factory manuals from Helminc.com. They publish many factory manuals for cars and motorcycles but Subaru is not one of them. I looked on the net but couldn't find the 2005 manuals or even who publishes them. I appreciate any help you may offer. The reason I want to buy it on line is because the only manual I bought from the dealer "Jeep" (published by Helm inc) had some wrinkled pages. Not enough to take back. Just enough to be annoying. Again, thanks.

·
Registered
98 Posts
the other downside of the techinfo site and downloading (apart from number of files involved ) is how do you know which ones you need? There are multiple 4 cyl engine types listed, so if its not a 6, how do I know which engine code to select? If you know what you are looking for, it seems a good deal...BTW, its now US$34.95/72 hours. The VIN search also rejects non-US VIN nos by the look of it - mine ends in 5G016176 and it barfs on me.
jp 05 OBW 5MT 2.5i

·
Registered
42 Posts
I can say that after an exhausting search around the hidden corners of the net, I have come across a decent site that offers these manuals for free as PDF downloads. Obviously, I don't think that they are in accordance with the copyright but, for the do-it-yourself-er that needs to look at something quickly, I would rather have that at my disposal than nothing at all. THis site has manuals for most any Impreza and the 95-99 Legacy series.

·
Registered
131 Posts
tompetey wrote:
"I have come across a decent site that offers these manuals for free as PDF downloads"

Care to share the site with the rest of us so that we don't have to do our own "exhausting search around the hidden corners of the Web"

Thanks !

·
Registered
42 Posts
No problem, simply PM me so I can send you the link. I don't want to throw it up on the forum threads as the copyright may get admins or mods in trouble and I am not interested in being the reason!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
16 Participants
jp928
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing