Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Outback Limited - H4 2.5
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has the (afaik) dealer optional gate bar. As shown below, the bar is rusting near where it meets the tailgate. I haven't been able to find another black metal gate bar online, and the ones that I did find were chrome and JDM, so shipping was enormous. Would a bar from a Forester work, and if not, what are my options. I don't want to keep the rusty one, but I also don't want two open holes in the tailgate.

Thanks,
-Charlie

·
Registered
2008 Ford Escape XLS - 2002 Subaru Outback
246 Posts
Sand it down and repaint it? Fill any rust holes with bondo. Simple $10 fix vs. $50+ on what they are going for.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm just worried that when I get it off, the rust will be deeper than I can see from the surface, but that's tomorrow's project.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
Looks like the rust started from the inside?

·
Registered
144 Posts
The left side does look like very deep rust. Even if sanded there will still be a "pit" once painted over. I think there is a rust free one at my local junkyard, if I get it I'll let you know.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like the rust started from the inside?
I'm only making the connection now that you mentioned it, but when I first got the car, I noticed that the drivers side foam panel underneath the carpet was wet. I might have a hatch leak, but it hasn't rained since I've had the car, so I can't be sure.

I think there is a rust free one at my local junkyard, if I get it I'll let you know.
That would be awesome, thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts