Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2009 Subaru Outback
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Outback (191,000 miles) and just got word that my head gasket(s) is leaking. :frown2: A local automotive repair shop is telling me it is better to replace with rebuilt engine. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
'07 Outback 3.0R LL Bean, '74 BMW 2002, '65 Datsun L320, '99 Land Cruiser
199 Posts
Well, it depends on their labor rates, availability of a better engine, etc. Most shops pull the engine out to change the headgaskets, and many would just rather put in a better low mileage engine while it’s out, instead of messing with the heads/gaskets. If they pull the heads, they should send heads to a machine shop to have them checked out, clean the surfaces properly, carefully torque all the bolts, put new timing belt on it, etc. it’s a lot more work and potential mistakes for them, to still end up with an engine that has 191k miles on the bottom end of it (crank/bearings/piston rings). A much lower mileage replacement engine may come out to be a safer option.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,195 Posts
ask a shop that works on subarus a lot what they think. and ask for written quotes.

not a dealer.

the shop you got now maybe looking and thinking this engine is a poor candidate to do the work on,

and they maybe correct: like it has cooling problems and with its 191,000 miles they think the job will not turn out.

vs. getting a matching rebuilt one from someplace to drop in your car.

getting a rebuilt one from someplace also gets the car back to you faster.

_____

my own similar 2002 H4 EJ251 had its head gasket job back around 90,000.
(pretty young, and it was just leaking oil,...with zero cooling problems.).

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,124 Posts
Another factor you should consider: What is your experience with this engine? Have you had it since new, or at least for a long time? With some reasonable history, you should have at least a sense of how dependable in may be, based upon past experiences.

And FWIW if this is the first time for the head gaskets leaking, I'd say you're doing pretty well with it. Most of us - me included - had head gaskets replaced about 100k miles ago compared to your miles.

And finally - should you decide to repair it, price out a timing belt service with the shop. If the engine is out, it's silly at 191k not to do it a bit early. When I had mine repaired, the shop doing the work charged only for parts, given the labor to remove and reinstall the TB system was already included in the head gasket replacements.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts