Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Outback 2.5I non Turbo
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 2.5i SOHC with 89,000 miles on it. I changed the plugs and wires the other day and noticed the valve cover gaskets are leaking. I did some looking around here and its a repair I can do. However I started thinking, should I just take it in and have the timing belt and head gaskets replaced (which would include replacing valve cover gaskets)? I mean why wait until they starts leaking to replace them?

·
Registered
129 Posts
wait till the HG start leaking. replacing the valve gaskets is a not too hard job that one can tackle themselves, but a HG when its not needed is a waste of money,IMHO

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon EJ259 - 4EAT
121 Posts
^ IAWTP valve cover gasket is pretty easy. Just a little tricky to get the valve cover itself out (on the drivers side, at least.)

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
NEVER EVER replace HG's unless they are leaking!! Why? Simple the assumption that the hands doing the replacement are as skilled as the hands that put the non leaking gaskets in is VERY WRONG!

If they are not leaking LEAVE THEM ALONE and maintain the car - proper oil and coolant - stock OEM thermostat's only etc etc......

The highest number of forum posts here about failed HG's are replacement gaskets done by techs lacking the skilled hands needed to do the job right to start with!!!!

Even my Toyota went through three Head Gasket full engine rebuilds by Toyota before they called in a skilled tech to finally do it correctly so the repaired HG doesn't fail again etc.

#1 Rule NEVER EVER FIX a FACTORY installed ITEM unless its Broken!!! Given you have a VERY high probability that the repair will not be to the Quality level it should be nor match the level of quality from the assembly line.

Don't fix what ain't broken!!!!!

·
Registered
2007 Outback 2.5I non Turbo
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was sort of what I was thinking but wanted to get everyone opinion.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
I agree with Subiesailor. The HGs aren't necessarily going to fail, and that's a lot of money thrown away if they never would have failed (or would have failed long after you owned the car).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts