Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do people replace the wheel nuts when replacing their wheel bearings?

Wheel nuts comes up as an item commonly purchased with bearings on Amazon and the Moog instructions mention replacing the nuts at the same time. The problem is they cost $9 each, which seems excessive.

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
602 Posts
Isn't that one that is staked down on the edge to lock it in to place? I can see where maybe you could re-use it but the factory instructions probably call for its replacement.

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
I change the nut when I replace a wheel bearing or axle.

If you are using a cheap chinese made bearing don't bother with a new nut as you will be changing the bearing again soon. Buy a Japanese manufactured wheel bearing from KOYO instead of a cheap one.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Convenience
1,319 Posts
Do people replace the wheel nuts when replacing their wheel bearings?

Wheel nuts comes up as an item commonly purchased with bearings on Amazon and the Moog instructions mention replacing the nuts at the same time. The problem is they cost $9 each, which seems excessive.
Since you're using "nuts" (plural), I'm going with not the axle nut (which you should get a new one).
You also mention wheel, so do you mean the nuts holding your wheel on the hub? If so, no need to replace those unless they are stripped.

The only other one I could thing of are bolts holding your hub in place, but I don't think this is what you're talking about either (you would have called it a bolt; and these usually come with a hub).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts