Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any success at improving the stock fog lamps on their 3rd Gen Outback.

I was looking at a few bulbs;

Hella Yellow HB4/9006 55W Bulb
Hella Optilux® Extreme Yellow XY Bulbs
PIAA 13506 JDM Ion Yellow 9006 HB4

Yes I have heard that painting a transparent yellow tint is better but would like to try a yellow bulb first.

Or completely replaced the original housing with a complete lamp like on the 2nd and 1st gens?

I also would like to know if anyone has disabled the DRLs and have the fog lights operate independently from the lowbeams. In really heavy snow they compete with the fogs and the low beam still reflect too much falling snow.

Also want to explore getting a second set of driving light to complement the highbeams and place them in the air intake next to the fogs.

- PIAA 2100XT Clear Driving Kit
- Hella FF75

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
I put yellow bulbs in mine, and I very much like the vision effects. I can't remember which brand, though. A friend put yellow dye on the lenses of his 06 outback, and I think the yellow lenses add to the appearance, even with the lights off.

Adding driving lights shouldn't be hard. Plenty of places to tap in for power. Mounting is always the hardest part.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
I have Nokya yellow bulbs in Kaylee's foglights. They perform acceptably.

You can find the DRL disable and independent fog hack here on the forums, just search around.

Another option might be to upgrade the 9006 to HIR1 bulbs (think that would be a 9012) and some yellow film to the fog lens. Simple mod, requires a tiny bit of pruning to the tab on the base of the new bulb to fit correctly. Lots more light output.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Man!

Are these them?

HYPER YELLOW

Did they improve the viability in bad weather? How long have you had them? One thing positive I can say about the stock bulbs they are the only ones that have not burnt.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
Nokya makes a few different yellow bulbs series, but that is more or less what I have. I have 9006 bulbs. They have been in a year, year and a half now. I use my fogs only in bad weather.

I feel like on a wet road (no snow) they take the glare down, as it looks like the yellow light from the fogs wash into the white from my lowbeams.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
I saved the package from the ones I installed, if I find it tomorrow I'll post it. I'm planning a day in the garage as the weather looks like it will cooperate.

The beam is noticeably yellow, not much bounce from the snow. The beam fills in low, close and wide just like a fog should.

Edit: found the packaging. They are Putco 9006 bulbs. They've been in for a little over a year without incident.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts