Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2003 Outback with 2 sheared rear studs - can I replace the studs without damaging the bearings?

Has anyone had a bearing actually fail after replacing studs? Not that stud replacement is even common enough to get an answer to that...??

I bought a bunch of studs so i'd rather just use them. guess i'll just give it a go and see how long the bearing lasts, it'll give me plenty of warning if it doesn't like it at least.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,696 Posts
I'd think you're observant enough that, if the bearing starts having a problem later on, you'll catch it then. Of course, depending on why those studs were bad, the bearing may already be somewhat compromised - in addition the the wear from 10 years of use.

are the stud failures due to impact? You could argue the bearing's lifespan might be shortened from the impact. If you haven't, be sure to lift/rock that wheel up/down - 12:6 o'clock. That's how I discovered a bad bearing on WRX - no noise, found it when rotating tires.

it's a hub bearing assembly and changes out 'fairly' easily it seems. You get new studs and a new bearing for about the same labor.

kinda a dice toss really - about the same labor (I THINK), cheaper partswise with studs only.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
right on, next time i'll just do bearings but i'll try the studs since i have them.

i have no idea why they failed, i've only driven the car maybe 10,000 miles so i guess anything is possible.

after reading that one thread where someone had the same rear passengers side wheel (same as mine) breaking studs over and over again i'm probably going to go ahead and install a new rotor while it's apart. his ended up being, or so it seems, a not flat mating surface on the rotor. i'll just replace it while it's apart.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,696 Posts
right on, next time i'll just do bearings but i'll try the studs since i have them.

i have no idea why they failed, i've only driven the car maybe 10,000 miles so i guess anything is possible.

after reading that one thread where someone had the same rear passengers side wheel (same as mine) breaking studs over and over again i'm probably going to go ahead and install a new rotor while it's apart. his ended up being, or so it seems, a not flat mating surface on the rotor. i'll just replace it while it's apart.
could be a lip in the parking brake drum so, might wanna back off the star adjuster if the rotor doesn't slide off easily.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts