Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I remove inside plastic cover on tailgate to replace tail light bulbs on 2010 Outback, without scraping knuckles???

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not too much help with the Inst. Manual, in that i have to replace the Bayonet socket with a new one. I went to a dealer and he does NOT know how to remove the plastic back on the tailgate of the 2010 Outback. It is held on with a plastic gromet on each side which is very hard to remove with any tool.
Be that it may it is extremely hard to get your hand in to replace that Bayonet socket and twist it either way........HELP!!!

·
Registered
18,055 Posts
It's not clear. The first reference was to changing bulbs, and then it's changing a bayonet socket. I'm not sure why the rear gate (hatch) trim (if that's what's meant by "plastic back") has to come off in order to do this, as both the bulbs and the sockets are supposed to be accessible through smaller snap-off hatches in the rear gate trim. However, if the rear gate wiring harness is being replaced, then the trim does have to come off.

The dealer certainly has access to the service documentation that includes how to remove the trim, so the lack of knowledge in this regard is also strange.

I'll also add that I thought Subaru no longer uses bayonet-type bulbs for the tail and stop lights. Must be a misunderstanding, but I think we'd be better able to help if there we have clearer information.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well thanks for the comments back. The socket itself is a Bayonet mount which the bulb itself wedges into. I have to replace the socket itself and to do this it is nearly impossible to be able to twist the socket into place without a bloody hand, which is why I would like to know how I may remove the plastic tailgate inside panel. The wire harness itself is No problem. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rear Tailgate Inside Plastic Trim

Thanks so much for this Info on removing inside trim cover. You must work in a body shop.
I pity anybody who has to try to change the tailgate lamps. Those 2 knock off panels on either side are NOT large enough for your hand to manage to get that socket off.........I tried to find a bulb socket puller to no avail.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts