Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving too fast, I spun the car and hit a curb, and now the front steering feels ragged, and the serpentine belt is slipping from what I believe to be the power steering pump working too hard. If I have to replace the steering rack/unit, could I use one from a legacy instead of an outback one? I remember reading somewhere that the legacy steering is one less turn of the steering wheel lock-to-lock, and one of the first things I noticed when I got the outback was the low steering wheel to front wheels turning ratio.

Thanks,
-Charlie

·
Registered
16,964 Posts
while idling, look inside the PS reservoir tank for foam/bubbles. maybe the shock just disturbed the suction hose enough to let air get into the fluid.

have you looked underneath the car for bent struts or other stuff?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Looks like the racks are indeed different, doesn't say why though.

Rack & Pinion Catalog - subaru
i would not base my decision on that catalog. they indicate that the 97 outback rack and the 97 legacy rack are different, and i know from experience that they are exactly the same.

if you want to look up part numbers use http://opposedforces.com/parts .

but just as important, i would NEVER buy a rebuilt steering rack for a subaru. it is not worth the money . these racks don't fail often and rebuilt isn't necessary. buy a good used one for about $75 and install that. it will probably outlast the car. the only failure mode i am familiar with is leaking fluid after a prolonged period with a torn boot. keep you boots in good shape and you will be good .

for used parts - www.car-part.com
you can probably buy one cheap from a non-rust state and have it shipped in for less than a local parts yard. look around.

·
Premium Member
4,621 Posts
I have several. most need boots but I'll reboot it for the cost of the parts.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just replaced the front struts (before the accident) and I haven't had the wheel off to check, but sticking my head under the car I didn't see anything noticeably damaged. The problem seems to have lessened with driving it, but now there is a knock that is proportional to wheel speed in that front corner. Maybe a bearing?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
caltemus
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing