Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2017 Outback and am generally satisfied with the vehicle. But I HATE the horn... sound like a bad version of the roadrunner. Will changing the horn affect the warrantee? If so, I guess I'll wait out the 3 yr. 36000 mile coverage before I do anything.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,358 Posts
You have a lot of options. Generally speaking you can bolt in any horn you like. You won't have any warranty problems unless you somehow manage to butcher the electrical system.

Subaru uses very ordinary horns, so they're very easy to augment or replace. You might need to add a relay for a very high powered horn but for many installations that step isn't required.

There are many threads on this site covering exactly this subject, so a quick search will get you some useful results on wiring and mount locations.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I can't understand why an auto manufacturer would invest so much into developing an advanced vehicle and end up utilizing such a sub-standard horn. I was totally surprised by the sound.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
1,108 Posts
Since most drivers totally ignore sirens and lights on a emergency vehicle, do you think they'll pay attention to a average car horn? Probably why Subaru didn't spend much $$ on it.

I think you'd need an electric train horn to get most drivers to stop texting and pay attention to their driving.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,131 Posts
Hella supertones

FIAMM

HIghway Blasters

as said, many options. Some folks use the existing relay and wires and are happy - but usually you'll get loudest results with new wiring from the battery and a separate relay.

your car is kinda new, but probably any write-up or youtube video would be helpful.

·
Registered
05 OBXT & 16 Crosstrek
655 Posts
I install Hella Supertones. Just buy or make a wire harness and they bolt right up behind the grill.

Sent from my 6045I using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Definitely Fiamms, but I went with the El Grandes instead. MUCH fuller tone, certainly gets attention. They make the Blasters sound like the OEM Subie horns.

The only thing louder in my experience would be a full-tilt air horn system.

·
Registered
2013 Outback, 2.5i Limited w/ Moonroof
1,537 Posts
I remember honking to alert a car that was about to back into me, and wondering if the horn was even loud enough for the other driver to hear. And that pathetic tone! So, changing the horns was one of the very first mods I did on my Outback.

By far the Hella Supertones are the most popular aftermarket horn option on Subarus. You will see them on WRX cars all over. They are very loud. But after listening to sound clips on Youtube, I was concerned that, while the Supertones are very loud, the tone sounds like the Roadrunner on steroids. So I went with the PIAA Sports Horns, 500Hz/600Hz. P/N 85112. They are rated 2 or 3 db less than the Supertones, but they are still plenty loud. And, imho, the tome is so much nicer.

It seems that the only risk to the warranty would be related to the horns and horn circuit. All the rest of your warranty should be OK.

·
Registered
2013 Outback, 2.5i Limited w/ Moonroof
1,537 Posts
Do the Supertones require a separate power circuit and relay, or can they operate directly off the existing horn circuit?
They can operate off the existing horn circuit. That is, as long as you are replacing the factory horns, and not adding the new ones.

·
Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
568 Posts

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
The only way an aftermarket horn (or horns) could affect your warranty is if there was some sort of electrical damage to the wiring that could be directly attributed to changing the horns out for high-powered substitutes. Most of these options from Fiamm and Hella don't draw any more current that the stock horns do, and if they do, adding a second relay into the horn circuits should protect the OEM harness.

(Tl;dr: Don't worry about it.)

·
Registered
1997 Outback 2.5 AT
186 Posts
Rather than getting aftermarket stuff, just go to a pick-and-pull junkyard and find the horn off of any American car/truck...they are loud and "deep" unlike the Roadrunner Subaru.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,466 Posts

·
Registered
2017, Premium/ES, 2.5L, Auto Trans
556 Posts
Rather than getting aftermarket stuff, just go to a pick-and-pull junkyard and find the horn off of any American car/truck...they are loud and "deep" unlike the Roadrunner Subaru.
Loud and deep and cheap. Perfect. And simple, too. Just unplug the stock horns and plug them in.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5i Limited
63 Posts
I installed 1974 Cadillac horns in mine... Bolted all four horns (there are four tones) to a stainless steel bar plasti-dipped, and installed them behind the fog lights in my Gen IV. Completely invisible unless you're under the vehicle with the shields removed.

They run off of a 12V relay wired to the battery, and the original horn switch now operates the relay.

Not deafening, but they're not subtle either. Like others have said, drivers don't even pay attention to sirens on the road, let alone a car horn.

Generally if I have to hit the horn, it's too late anyway. But way more fun while "accidentally" setting off my panic alarm.

Sean

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R Limited with EyeSight, Nav, Remote Start, Towing Package, Tunsten
17 Posts
I just ordered a PIAA 330hz & 400hz set. I can't wait to remove the factory horns! Thanks all for suggestions. YouTube helped with different tones. I like the lower bass tones.

Mike

1 - 20 of 87 Posts