Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2001 and in addition to needing an O2 sensor, there is no washer fluid making its way to the windshields (front or rear). Picked up a front pump at AutoZone yesterday (they didn't have a rear pump).

Connectors look pretty corroded, so I cut opted to clip the wires together and, still no joy on the washer fluid. Any suggestions on what else I might look at here? Thanks.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Detail would help - can you hear the pump running when operating the switch? If not, have you checked the fuses? If the pumps running, try pulling the flexible black pipe off the pump when running, and advise if any water comes out (if it does, you're going to get wet)!
Final daft question, confirm you have fluid in the reservoir and it (the reservoir) is clean of muck - the inlet at low level inside the tank may be clogged.

·
Registered
16,295 Posts
The front wipers and washer have one fuse, and the rear wiper and washer have another. If the front and rear wipers works, the fuses are okay. And if that's the case, follow Greenmamba's suggestions.

If the pumps work and water comes out when they're activated, there could be blockages in the tubes or at the nozzles. I believe there are also check valves in the lines that might be sticking.

If the wipers work but the pumps don't, check for voltage at the wires going to the pumps when the switch is activated. If there was a lot of corrosion, it's possible that there's more that wasn't seen.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wipers work, but getting nothing at all from the pumps, so that must mean the fuses are okay.

I'll check voltage at the wires. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
There are plenty of people out there who think they are using the washer, but are really just using the mist function. Probably not it, but I feel compelled to point it out. My wife is one of them...

Tom

·
Registered
16,967 Posts
There are plenty of people out there who think they are using the washer, but are really just using the mist function. Probably not it, but I feel compelled to point it out. My wife is one of them...

Tom

good point - our mist 'logo' on our 03 is actually drawn incorrectly. The button on the end will do a 'quick' wash/wipe but the 'logo' 'seems' to indicate pulling the stalk will spray the windshield when it only activates the wipers.

see in the pic below (ours is like the lower stalk I think) where it says 'pull mist' and the logo shows the 'fountain' shape (indicating washer fluid as shown on other switchtes)

well, our car has NEVER sprayed fluid when the stalk is pulled toward the driver - only wiper function.

either our car has always been broken - or, I suspect, the stalk is mislabeled.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Whoa, that's what that mystical "mist" is. I've never given any attention to that "washer fountain" picture on the lever, just known that when I pull the lever wipers make a sweep.
Maybe in our case with probably incorrect drawing "mist" is short for "mistake"? :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
You could test the wire going to the windshield washer pump with a test light to see if you have power to the pump. If you don't have power to the pump, check the fuse or for a possible break in the wire somewhere.

Here's a video that will also show you how to replace the windshield washer pump in your Outback.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
good point - our mist 'logo' on our 03 is actually drawn incorrectly. The button on the end will do a 'quick' wash/wipe but the 'logo' 'seems' to indicate pulling the stalk will spray the windshield when it only activates the wipers.

see in the pic below (ours is like the lower stalk I think) where it says 'pull mist' and the logo shows the 'fountain' shape (indicating washer fluid as shown on other switchtes)

well, our car has NEVER sprayed fluid when the stalk is pulled toward the driver - only wiper function.

either our car has always been broken - or, I suspect, the stalk is mislabeled.

Actually it's like this, in american cars it is typical for the mist/wipe function to be one operation and not independent. Subaru in their infinite wisdom let you mist or wipe as needed. This is of particular help when you need a burst of water on a sandy windshield and don't want to scratch the glass.

So mist... then wipe. I agree they could have labeled it better.

·
Registered
16,295 Posts
Subaru in their infinite wisdom let you mist or wipe as needed. This is of particular help when you need a burst of water . . .
Is that what the "pull mist" function is supposed to do? It's not that way on my 07, or in any of the 3rd generation owners manuals I have. Instead, it's meant to provide a single sweep, or manual control of more than one sweep, of the wipers when the stalk is pulled back and released. (It does not apply any water from the washers.) This is handy when dew forms on the outside of the windshield, or when there's a fine spray of water from the road -- not enough to require continuous or even intermittent wiper operation.

From my OM:

Mist (for a single wipe)

For a single wipe of the wipers, pull the
lever toward you. The wipers operate until
you release the lever.

·
Registered
16,967 Posts
Is that what the "pull mist" function is supposed to do? It's not that way on my 07, or in any of the 3rd generation owners manuals I have. Instead, it's meant to provide a single sweep, or manual control of more than one sweep, of the wipers when the stalk is pulled back and released. (It does not apply any water from the washers.) This is handy when dew forms on the outside of the windshield, or when there's a fine spray of water from the road -- not enough to require continuous or even intermittent wiper operation.

From my OM:

Mist (for a single wipe)

For a single wipe of the wipers, pull the
lever toward you. The wipers operate until
you release the lever.
but why does it have the 'fountain' or 'spray um, 'overlay' on the windshield-with-line-representing-wiper logo.

looks kinda like this. (without the periods - couldn't get it to work with spaces or alt255)

.........._ _
........./ \/ \
............|
............|

at least on mine, that function (spray the front windshield) only works using the end-button.

·
Registered
16,295 Posts
Yes, the stalks in the photos do appear to be showing a spray at the "mist pull" diagram (same as the front wash and rear wash), and is misleading, but as you noted, only the end button sprays the windshield.

See http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/9479-no-washer-fluid-front-help.html, especially posts #6 to 10, for the same "problem". As noted in post 10, it's in the owners manual. (The thread starts off with a wiring/connector problem, which could be what the OP here is dealing with.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
8 Participants
plain OM
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing