Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share my experience on replacing my brake pads & brake fluid on the H6S... i also had the rotors turned while i was at it

Brake pads - fairly easy... i used the sources of scoobymods with only the following differences... fronts take a 17mm socket to remove caliper bracket to remove the rotors... the remaining bolts on the front & rear were 14mm

Brake fluid - used synthetic Valvoline... again was fairly easy... i had my 6 yo son help by pushing on the brake pedal

with the new 512s & brakes, I almost have a new car... just need to swipe out the tranny with synthetic & then the subie will be all synthetic

·
Submod , ,
3,022 Posts
What are the benefits of going synthetic brake oil?

I'm in the process of going all synth but hadn't thought about the brake fluid.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Subhuman said:
What are the benefits of going synthetic brake oil?

I'm in the process of going all synth but hadn't thought about the brake fluid.
being an engineer, i find that synthetics are a vast improvement in quality from all points... synthetic brake fluid has higher boiling points both wet & dry therefore better performance... plus, i would prefer to use anything that doesn't come from the gulf area if possible

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
the Valv synth brake fluid is great stuff, i use it ec\xclusively in all my vehicles 2 and 4 wheeled. i think they;ve also managed to reduce the hygroscopicity (intense desire to absorb water) compared to traditional.

BTW, it's not an oil, actually a glycol compound closer to coolant. same issues on disposal (take it to Toxic Waste Day, don't just dump in trash.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
CPToversteer
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing