Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Outback. 2.5L.
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Hope the collective knowledge here can give me a point in the right direction. :)

Problem: Fiance calls and says our (read her) 2002 Subaru Outback is having trouble shifting. The clutch pedal is not popping back up all the time when she shifts. Fluid was good so I replaced the slave cylinder. I recently had the same issue on a Mazda truck and this fixed it completely.

I am by no means a mechanical genius but I am cheap which means I do most of my own repairs.

·
Registered
2007 OBXT Limited, 5MT 148K
420 Posts
Could be the release bearing causing both symptoms. Changing a slave cylinder will not cause a squeal.

·
Registered
2002 Outback. 2.5L.
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replaced clutch slave cylinder....now clutch squealing

Hello all,

Ok, my 2002 Subaru Outback was having an issue where the clutch pedal was not popping up from the floor completely when shifting. The problem was intermittent. I checked the fluid (good) and then decided to replace the slave cylinder.

Now the pedal seems to operate fine but IMMEDIATELY after I pulled out of the garage I get a squealing when I press (engage) the clutch pedal. The squealing lasts the entire time the pedal is engaged and only stops when it is completely disengaged.

My first thought is throw out bearing. However, to go from no squealing at all to constant squealing seems odd. During the bleeding of the fluid there was quite a bit of spillage around the slave cylinder / master cylinder. (I was letting my 11 year old daughter help out). Is there anyway that fluid could have leaked down and onto the pressure plate / clutch plate? Would this cause the squealing?

Could there be another cause? New slave cylinder has different movement range? Pedal needs adjusting? I have only taken a quick test drive up and down the road but everything seems to shift fine. When I have the car in nuetral with the parking brake on and press the clutch in, for a split second I seem to get a shudder / stumble in the engine. No clue if that is relevant but it just started also. I am taking long shots here, but the sudden appearance 45 minutes later of constantly squealing just seems suspicious.

Any help is appreciated!! Thanks all! :)
-Frank

·
Registered
2002 Outback. 2.5L.
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Meh, might as well end this thread here. Went out to test it, pressed in the clutch revved the engine up to about 2k or so and the squealing stopped...then something let loose and now the clutch is done. Had some smoke drifting around and all that. Guess it was the throwout bearing. :eek:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts