Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'98-2.5L & '05-3.0L Subaru Outback Wagons
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replaced the 2 accessory drive pulleys on my 2005 OBW with 6 cylinder engine.
I used two of the Dayco 89148. Both are attached using a bolt (14mm socket) with standard right handed threads.
The tensioner pulley uses a steel nut behind the tension arm. The idle is a threaded casting (no nut).
Also replaced the belt with a Gates K060625.

Neither had failed but the car has 105K miles and was ready for a new belt. I've heard the pulleys are prone to failure so I decided to replace them.

Trig

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,582 Posts
did the old pulleys wobble or their bearings seem dry/crunchy?

·
Registered
'98-2.5L & '05-3.0L Subaru Outback Wagons
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The pulleys I removed both had a small amount of grease leakage but neither wobbled or felt like the bearings were failing.
I replaced them anyway since I had the belt off and two Dayco 89148 pulleys. I have a 2009 Tribeca also which
has the H6 3.0 engine. However, the Tribeca looks like it's tension pulley is smaller. A friend told me their 2006 Tribeca
had a pulley bearing failure and it shredded the belt, which also took out some wiring and brackets (Subaru dealer said).

Trig

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
Yep, I've seen it a ton of times and at much lower mileages, and I'm not even a shop or professional. It's so cheap and easy and strands you if they do fail i consider it a 60,000 mile maintenance item.

You were wise to replace. it is by far the, or one of, the most common H6 failures and easily preventable.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
8,047 Posts
This entire thread is rather confusing to me.

The H6 has a timing chain, not a belt. Therefore, in the interest of understanding this thread better, I would interpret the discussions as follows:

"Belt" means "Timing Chain"

"Pulley" means "Sprocket"

Carry on.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,582 Posts

The H6 has a timing chain, not a belt. Therefore, in the interest of understanding this thread better, I would interpret the discussions as follows:

Carry on.
pretty sure the thread concerns the serpentine accessory belt and its idler and tensioner.

Replaced the 2 accessory drive pulleys .........

·
Registered
2005 3.0R
239 Posts

Carry on.
I think in this case, "belt" means "belt", like accessory belt. I'ma go ahead and guess that "pulley" also means "pulley"... ;-)

·
Registered
'03 Outback H6-3.0 Black Granite Pearl, base model with cold weather package and cloth seats.
1,080 Posts
But but but...

The H6 has an exposed serpentine belt driving Power Steering, Alternator, AC, all off the the main crank. The belt path also includes a belt tensioner (with pulley) and idler pulley.
These pulleys are easily user changeable, unlike the timing chains and guides and tensioners, with sprockets but no pulleys, under the timing cover.
And the pulleys contain changeable bearings.

Carrying on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts