Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Do Baja turbo coil springs require a special or certain strut?

I replaced my rear old coil springs with baja turbo springs 20380AE52A and a KYB strut for my 2004 Subaru Outback LL bean Edition. Both rears struts failed only after a month of normal driving.

What is strange it when I replace the stuts prior to replacing the coil springs, those failed too (those were Monroe struts).

The mounts were replaced when the monroe struts were installed (about 6 months ago).

Any ideas as to why the struts keep failing and how to resolve?

Does the Baja turbo coil spring require a special strut?

Any help is kindly appreciated in advance.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,221 Posts
What brand is the second set of dampers? Monroe as well? Maybe they have a bad batch of dampers around. It is the general consensus that we stick with KYB replacements. Unless you are upgrading, which coilovers are probably your only option.

I would blame it on Monroe. There is no real other explanation.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,329 Posts
it's my mostly ignorant impression that beefier springs REDUCE wear to struts. That is, I have read that worn springs kill struts quickly as they experience 'travel' that is more frequent and more extensive.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
I would just keep making the right decisions:

replace struts with proper new KYB
replace mounts with OEM
replace springs with OEM baja or OBW

monroe struts and mounts i'd trust as much as a politicians promise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well lets start here. Do the Baja Turbos are actually intended to fit on a 2004 Subura Outback LL Bean edition? My mechanic had no problem on the install. But they are "beefier" than the old ones.

If yes, then what are the recommended struts I use? Is their a beefier strut to go with this coil spring?

Here is what subura parts said, but they really did no answer my question or did they?

"The 03 Baja’s have the same strut as the Outback but the 04-06 has its own number. The upper mounts for all the Outback’s and Baja’s are the same. If the car has been modified, i.e. lifted or lowered it can cause the struts to fail very quickly because they are operating outside of their normal range which puts additional stress on them. Also, it the piston isn’t held into position correctly when they’re installed that can cause the internals of the strut to get ruined."

Any suggestions or idea?

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,221 Posts
Well lets start here. Do the Baja Turbos are actually intended to fit on a 2004 Subura Outback LL Bean edition? My mechanic had no problem on the install. But they are "beefier" than the old ones.

If yes, then what are the recommended struts I use? Is their a beefier strut to go with this coil spring?

Here is what subura parts said, but they really did no answer my question or did they?

"The 03 Baja’s have the same strut as the Outback but the 04-06 has its own number. The upper mounts for all the Outback’s and Baja’s are the same. If the car has been modified, i.e. lifted or lowered it can cause the struts to fail very quickly because they are operating outside of their normal range which puts additional stress on them. Also, it the piston isn’t held into position correctly when they’re installed that can cause the internals of the strut to get ruined."

Any suggestions or idea?
Sounds like Subaru says the stroke length operation is in question...

Which would lead to early failure...due to lift application. Seems like they answered it clearly...I think I would maybe have to agree...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts