Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So thought pics of door panels & doors might be of interest to those with 2015-17 models to see if it appears they've added any additional sound insulation.

Overall the speakers running on stock head unit sound MUCH better than the default Premium trim six speakers. Not the best in the world but for $180 I'm happy. Maybe add a little Alpine amp when time allows. Used a bunch of Noico 80 mil from Amazon (it's a vibration damper) maybe add some MLV in future. The Noico had a ton of good reviews and at $22 for 10 square feet ...

Might drop a couple 6 ohm tweeters from Parts Express up in dash.

I didn't plaster doors with damper just put about 1-2 sq ft on each outer skin and pasted some around speaker holes and a few spots on door. Those are the little silver squares you see on door (more under vapor barrier) in first pic. More was added to around speakers, and front speakers since I put 6x9's in I really plastered the stuff all around the speaker hole.

EDIT WITH REVIEW OF SPEAKERS - Day two. Keep in mind these are Polk's "entry level" speakers and while sounding much better than stock I wouldn't call them spectacular blow my socks off. Though I knew this when I bought them. I wanted cheap, while not being Pyle speaker cheap, easy to install (no new wires, etc.), same ohms as factory to maintain same ohm load to head unit. I think for price & difficulty they are great. Efficient enough (93db for 6x9, 92db for 6.5) where if you don't care about volume (they are certainly as loud as factory, and much better sounding) you can run without an amp. Bass is much improved and I'm happy I went with the 6x9 for fronts over 6.5

Door, back door. Vapor barrier re-installed:

Picture of inside of a 2018 front door panel:

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited - Magnetite - LP Adventure lift
451 Posts
Do you have any idea what ohm the rear speaker is? Im thinking of pirating the rear spare tire sub from my 2015 VW and using it in this system.

The 'premium audio' in this car is not something I can see wanting to stick with, but I don't want to do anything other than a speaker upgrade at most.

Its sad when VW's premium audio is better than yours.

·
Registered
2017 OB 2.5 Lim/ 2005 STI 400 WHP
273 Posts
Do you have any idea what ohm the rear speaker is? Im thinking of pirating the rear spare tire sub from my 2015 VW and using it in this system.

The 'premium audio' in this car is not something I can see wanting to stick with, but I don't want to do anything other than a speaker upgrade at most.

I had a fully loaded jetta wagon 5MT TDI. I think the stereo in the Limited 17 OB is better. I do think they were both better than adequate. A pleasant surprise in both cases. I never actually listen to either of them at the limit of distortion.

I would be very interested in hearing the OB premium vs limited vs aftermarket.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I don't as the Premium trim (what I have) has the standard audio.

Limited and above had the HK upgrade

If you do an advanced search and search the title only for speaker there are a number of nice threads that helped me a lot.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited - Magnetite - LP Adventure lift
451 Posts
the jetta and golf (MQB) are totally different.

that fender audio in the 2015+ is WAY better than anything else vw has done

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,312 Posts
Thanks, Following

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited, Ice Silver/Titanium Gray Leather Interior
269 Posts
Awesome! The Premium system is different than my 2018. Not sure if replacing the door speakers would make much difference since the HK system may only send specific frequencies to the front door 7x10 which is a mid woofer. No tweeters. It may not get a full range signal. I am tempted to try a good quality 6x9 in the front doors, but don't want to throw away good money. Hmmm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts