Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Would very much appreciate any input on this.

I have a 2004 Subaru Outback. The front left (driver's side) turn signal flashes fast and works only intermittently. The lower side light bulb (beneath the turn signal bulb) doesn't work at all in spite of replacing the bulb (twice).

What should I try next - any ideas?

I'm trying to avoid a repair shop expense and I quite like doing things myself. Though I am new at car maintenance.

Many thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
car ever wrecked, slash guard on that side is in place?

is the socket dirty? needs shiny metal for good contact on socket and bulb. i've seen cruded up sockets - but only on cars without splash gaurds/fender liners in place.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope - car never wrecked. Fenders all in good shape. I have cleaned the sockets and replaced all the bulbs. I am wondering if there is a way to replace the socket that is under the turn signal. That's the one not working. I have my suspicions it might have got bent or something. Though I don't know why i suspect that. Just a thought.

·
Registered
18,193 Posts
The front left (driver's side) turn signal flashes fast and works only intermittently. The lower side light bulb (beneath the turn signal bulb) doesn't work at all in spite of replacing the bulb (twice).
I'm not all that familiar with the 2004 front light assembly, but as far as I know,, there's only one bulb at each of the front corners that's for the turn signals. The other bulb at the front corner is probably for the clearance lights, and would not have any effect on the turn signals.

If the front left turn signal bulb visibly flashes fast, what about the left rear turn signal? They are in the same circuit. Perhaps it's the left rear bulb that's bad.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Check and possibly replace the turn signal flasher (aftermarket costs around $ 10 - $ 15 at any autoparts store - Delco brand) - it is typically located under the driver's side front dash panel near the steering shaft...black square plug in item, looks sort of like a relay...

·
Registered
2000 Outback Ltd.
205 Posts
Could possibly be the combination switch (turn signal switch). Overtime, the switch's internals tend to get greasy and collect dirt and dust. This reduces electrical contact and causes signal problems. You could take the switch out and clean it or in my case, I just bought a new one.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,325 Posts
I'm not all that familiar with the 2004 front light assembly, but as far as I know,, there's only one bulb at each of the front corners that's for the turn signals. The other bulb at the front corner is probably for the clearance lights, and would not have any effect on the turn signals.

If the front left turn signal bulb visibly flashes fast, what about the left rear turn signal? They are in the same circuit. Perhaps it's the left rear bulb that's bad.
The lower bulb is on with the park lights and headlamps. It flashes in time with the upper bulb which is only for a turn signal.

If the upper light is flashing and the lower isn't, that would indicate an issue with the bulb or the socket of the lower bulb. They are tied together on the same battery and ground circuits, along with the rear signal bulb.

Diagrams attached.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts