Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
02 Outback Ltd.
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to have HID lights in my 02 OB Ltd. What are my options? I don't have a manual yet and would like to know the wattage capacity i.e. what could I safely install without toasting the harness?

I'd like the blue/bright white color bulbs, although this is my first car with DRL

Some aftermarket bulbs pull the stunt of listing what the wattage LOOKS like. The actual wattage is buried in fine print.

I have some off road lights that are 90/130 watts, but they would most likely fry the harness?

Thanks from a new OB owner.:eek:

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
You will be a harness fryer with that wattage. Unless you get real HID with new ballasts and harnesses, just putting those crappy colored bulbs at the same wattage will not do anything for you in my opinion. Brian

·
Registered
02 Outback Ltd.
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bheinz57 said:
You will be a harness fryer with that wattage. Unless you get real HID with new ballasts and harnesses, just putting those crappy colored bulbs at the same wattage will not do anything for you in my opinion. Brian
Thanks Brian. I like the clarity of the bright white xenon type of bulbs.

Surely someone has an aftermarket look-alike running an appropriate wattage (55/60)?

·
Registered
2015 OB 2.5i premium
23 Posts
replacement bulbs

Here is the info on the SUBARU replacement light bulbs...this is what I have

Hi Beams are type 9005 Brand is NARVA # HB3-RPB 9005 RPB
also known as 9005 BLB cost was 8.71 each

LO Beams type H-1 brand OSRAM #
448SVS also known as H1SBL
Cost was $ 9.85 each

FOG Lamps brand is NARVA # 9006 BLB cost was $ 8.71 Ea.
Shipping by UPS was $ 5.00 total for everything was $ 59.567 and well worth it.

These are NOT the cheap Japanese bulbs you can buy at Pep Boys or Auto Zone Etc..These are way better quality and will last a lot longer.
You can order direct by calling Candlepower Inc. in Maryland
1-800-368-2700
here is a link to their webpage

http://www.candlepowerinc.com/?url=2

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
i researched real HIDs pretty extensively for my 02 OBS (photon lust every time i drive buddy's Slaab 9-5 with HIDs) and learned that with a lightwhere the beam focusingis via the shaping of reflector like current Subs. just installing drop-in 9007 replacements wouldn't work well and wd result in a lot of light scatter. the center of the HID arc tube is at different location than the center of the wire filament in conventional bulb, and i think wavelength distributuiin has something to do with it. so the $3-450 drop in kits aren't a good idea. only proper way to do it so they work like they were intended is to either get into a SUPER detailed/inviolved conversion yrself Or send yr headlight housings to one of the outfits that professionally retrofits HIDs, at a cost of abt $750-850. the living without my headlights slowed me down even more than the $.

i settled for xenon bulbs in stock wattage. Susquehannamotorsports.com is good Hella dealer that has Hella version. i decided to try the Sylvania silverstars, avail for abt $25/pr on ebay, on the theory that something that's sold to mainstream americans wd probably last longer and sustain various abuses better than something designed for/sold to only enthusiasts like Hellas or PIAAs. we'll see. pretty happy with light output and color so far. i am going to add a set of driving lights for long range high beams. again ebay dips into my pocket...got a set of Hella "FF" (free form, reflector shape focuses beam rather than using lens fluting...latter uses up a lot of light heating up the quartz crystal lens) lights new on ebay for abt $25 more, they're flat rectangles so they will fit inside rad opening (gonna trim/bend front lic plate to reduce its restriction to radiator airflow and hopefully end up with no less airflow total).

home, home on deranged....

·
Registered
50 Posts
cptoversteer said:
i researched real HIDs pretty extensively for my 02 OBS (photon lust every time i drive buddy's Slaab 9-5 with HIDs) and learned that with a lightwhere the beam focusingis via the shaping of reflector like current Subs. just installing drop-in 9007 replacements wouldn't work well and wd result in a lot of light scatter. the center of the HID arc tube is at different location than the center of the wire filament in conventional bulb, and i think wavelength distributuiin has something to do with it. so the $3-450 drop in kits aren't a good idea. only proper way to do it so they work like they were intended is to either get into a SUPER detailed/inviolved conversion yrself Or send yr headlight housings to one of the outfits that professionally retrofits HIDs, at a cost of abt $750-850. the living without my headlights slowed me down even more than the $.

i settled for xenon bulbs in stock wattage. Susquehannamotorsports.com is good Hella dealer that has Hella version. i decided to try the Sylvania silverstars, avail for abt $25/pr on ebay, on the theory that something that's sold to mainstream americans wd probably last longer and sustain various abuses better than something designed for/sold to only enthusiasts like Hellas or PIAAs. we'll see. pretty happy with light output and color so far. i am going to add a set of driving lights for long range high beams. again ebay dips into my pocket...got a set of Hella "FF" (free form, reflector shape focuses beam rather than using lens fluting...latter uses up a lot of light heating up the quartz crystal lens) lights new on ebay for abt $25 more, they're flat rectangles so they will fit inside rad opening (gonna trim/bend front lic plate to reduce its restriction to radiator airflow and hopefully end up with no less airflow total).

home, home on deranged....
I put some Sylvania silverstars in my sub - head light and driving (fog) light. Paid a bit more (at walmart) but I'm pleased with the difference. I know it's the cheap way out, but they are brighter and haev a better wavelength than the halogen (the yellow color bothers me). What I want to try doing next is finding the relay that turns off the driving lights when the high-beams are on. I'd like the driving (fog) lights to stay on.

Enouen

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
update on lighting

enouen--

after living with the silverstars for amonth now, i'm really happy with em too...excellent visibility, better detail definition around fringes of lit area. great addtn for $25+ship, do it again in a minute. may do it for other cars. will prob put em in the OB fogs. these are definitely a serious improvement, not just a poser toy for the big wing-n-tailpipe tip set.

as far as the fogs staying on when on high beam, i think it actually works in reverse of what you describe. the sensor lead for the the relay that allows power to the fogs is only tied into the low beam wire, so it only powers em up when low beams are on. if you wired that lead into the parking light wires instead, they'd stay on no matter what beam you're on.

i think Brian mentioned something like this being discussedon scoobymods.com. he also correctly pointed out that it's technically illegal to have fogs on with high beams in a lot of states. i don't sweat it since i doubt many cops know difference between a fog and a driving light. i do carry a copy of all the relevant TX motor vehicle statutes in my car in case of a roadside discussion with da man. most states have em available online now.

bw

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wow, I had no idea that would be illegal... That's strange. I know that you can buy kits for older trucks/suv's, that used 2 seperate bulbs for high and low, that would allow you to have both on at once... Oh well.

enouen

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Actually, my opinion is not to sweat legalities on this issue; do what enhances your road safety.

Driving lights (long narrow conical beam) are legal to run with high beams (and illegal to run with lows, as they’re essentially “high beam helper”). The only difference between them and fog lights (low, wide flattened beam designed to get under fog and light off to sides of road) is just the beam pattern. Many Hella lights are available in both, the only difference in the otherwise-identical light being the lens.

So what I’m saying is that your chances of getting pulled over for it are almost nil, as it’s pretty hard to say what type of light is on from another vehicle. If you do get pulled over for it, the chances of it sticking if you contest ticket are very small UNLESS you make some admissions they can use against you (roadside encounters are not considered “custody” for 5th amdt purposes, so no, they don’t have to read you your Miranda rights before they can use your stmts against you.) There is the possibility of cop who’s already pulled you over and decided he hates you and who wants to hang you for everything he can adding this to the list of charges.

And who knows, it may NOT be illegal in your state. This is the sort of stupid auto-lighting law that dates from the days of oil lamps and fear of excessive lighting....if you have your high beams on anyway, who ya gonna blind with the fogs? With properly aimed fogs, it shouldn’t even be POSSIBLE to blind oncoming drivers. Check your state’s laws online or if you’re really interested and can’t find answer yourself, let me know and I’ll try to find answer via Westlaw.

2 final ideas: one member of this list is replacing his stock fogs with similar appearance driving lights in stock fog location. Hella 500s are round light that probably looks a lot like the stocker. Or one of the lights in Hella’s “Optilux” line (ie, their cheap stuff) has both fog and driving beams contained in one housing, so you could have aux lights, 100% legally, on both high and low beams. They’re a wide rect housing, tho, so not sure of fit in stock cutouts in airdam. Run search for Hella Optilux on ebay if you want to look at a set; saw some there the other day.

Good luck and let me know if you need help finding statute.

bw

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
Well folks if you really want to run your fog lights in traffic then you'll know when you're behind me, because I'll have my inside mirror set so those fogs shine into your eyes, not mine. If they're so unobtrusive, then you can enjoy looking at them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The_Lizard said:
Well folks if you really want to run your fog lights in traffic then you'll know when you're behind me, because I'll have my inside mirror set so those fogs shine into your eyes, not mine. If they're so unobtrusive, then you can enjoy looking at them.
I just re focused mine, so they just fill in the dark space in front of the car and where the heads hit the ground. But yes, that is UBER irritating.

Enouen

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Originally posted by The_Lizard
"Well folks if you really want to run your fog lights in traffic then you'll know when you're behind me, because I'll have my inside mirror set so those fogs shine into your eyes, not mine. If they're so unobtrusive, then you can enjoy looking at them. "

now wait a minute....you gleefully blaze a swath of destruction through Tokyo but are grumbling abt people leaving on their fogs in traffic??!! :- ) what abt just turning your rearview to the "night" position...?

it probably ain't your bros (and sis's) in OBs you're talkin to, it's the Tahoes and Exhibitions and Hummers with the fogs mounted at your shoulder level and the manifest destiny attitude...

seriously, i did say properly aimed. a fog which is mounted a foot above the ground and is aimed correctly should hardly be visible in rearview. yeah, i do get annoyed at fogs in traffic, but it's mostly just at the bozos who run em in city for the "look at me" factor. my problem is more mis-aimed headlights, vehicles carrying huge loads so they point skyward, and dolts who won't dim em. i carry a 1 mil c.p. spotlight in car anyway, and figure i can get their attn if they really won't quit blinding me.

shd add that i live in a semirural area on the edge of the Franklin Mts. where i regularly have to dodge quail, owls, rattlesnakes, jackrabbits, coyotes, roadrunners, and the neighbors' "free range" chickens and similar dogs, so the fill light to sides is really helpful.

didn't mean to start no shootin wars..... bw

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,684 Posts
No problem, you actually have a need for the lights. Here in Columbus OH we have much more of the Look At Me factor.

Some people use the factory fog setup. Some people use homegrown systems. Some people just have to crank as much wattage as they posibly can.

True, the taller vehicles are more obnoxious when in my rearview. But once there's more than 100 feet or so of distance, the height doesn't matter as much.

Many people here and elsewhere say that properly-aimed lights are no problem. I remain deeply skeptical, especially when hills and dips and even urban intersection grading can cause the eyes of oncoming drivers to be within the beam pattern of the low beams and fogs. At those times the guy with the fogs just sort of shrugs and says it's not really a problem for other drivers.

Yeah, right. As MAD Magazine once said about bad breath, "You're the guy who gets to stand behind it."

So, I have learned to aim my inside mirror to reflect straight back. I don't run it that way all the time or even often, but once I get some genius with too much lighting like he's some wanna-be proctologist, I have no qualms about letting that person see just how pleasant those lights are to the driver ahead.

Don't like it? Shut them off. Actually some people get the message and kill the extra lights, but I suspect a lot of people don't even know where the switch is.

*G* then they probably get on the cell phone and complain that the a-hole in front of them has some special kind of mirror that shoots blinding light at them ... and they wonder where they can get one, too.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
your points are well taken, and i'm probably going to be more careful to turn my fogs off when in urban jungle.

what i guess i still don't understand is how the fogs are substantially worse than low beams, since latter are aimed and mounted even higher. last i heard, gummint prefers you to run those at night (altho the DRLs could pass for headlights out here, birghter than lots of headlights i see)(Subaru, the car of choice for the drunk driver who forgets to turn on his headlights....???).

plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose Dept: the Amurrikin station wagon still exists, gets no better mpg than the ones i grew up in back seat of, but looks fiercer. and it's replaced big Amurrikin luxoboats as the prime offenders in highway rudeness of all sorts, esp refusal to dim lights.

but are you sure the guy behind you can see the reflection from yr mirror past all the neon on his dash and hood....? :- )

bw

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,684 Posts
When the fogs are properly aimed, they're like the low beams - still visible under any circumstances and obnoxious if you happen to be viewing them from below the cuttof line, which happens in traffic.

As for some of the taller vehicles, such as full-sized US pickup trucks, the low beams will shine over the trunk lid into an ordinary passenger car, and you can't blame the truck driver because those are just factory low-beams, at stock height. If anything, you might question whether they really need a truck to make that run or whether they could have done that in a car. But that's a completely different issue.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Uh oh, don’t get me started...... Sure i can blame the truck driver; rarely did anyone force him (usually him) to buy that thing. Even out here, most of the trucks are not bought for utility as much as a style statement. As my lady says, “big truck, small p***s”...... One sees very few loads being hauled in pickups that couldn’t be carried in a small Jap truck. I dunno what it’s like in Ohio, but here there are literally almost as many trucks and SUVs as there are cars on the road. I don’t hate concept of either trucks or SUVs (i have one of each) but detest people who see em as a means to compensate for their perceived psych/physical shortcomings.....

There’s a very interesting and well researched study in latest issue of Motorcycle Consumer News on the correlation between the astronomical increase in sales of LTVs (light truck vehicles, incl both pickups and sport utes) and the sharp rise in motorcycle wreck fatalities....despite the fact that less riders are having wrecks period, there are less single-vehicle accidents and less alcohol-related wrecks....and went on to do some testing of where a rider would be struck by a Durango as opposed to a Bmw 525, and the likely internal injuries from each.

OK, I’ll quit the off topic rant and go find a squeegee to clean the foam off the screen now....

bw
:D :D

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,684 Posts
When I visited San Antonio I noticed the amount of pickup trucks as a statement of manhood. But that's not enough! Got to have a brush bar on that truck, too! And hey, if you have bucks, hang some lights on that while you're at it!

There are a few trucks like that here in central Ohio and they look very out of place. And it isn't the arriving Mexicans who run them, it's white guys.

As for that compensation issue, it might amuse you to know that one of those trucks around here has a windshield decal saying THE SNAKE ... you figure it out.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Liz, had to share this in light of our earlier discussion on Things You Might Want to Be Able to See to Dodge...last night, one of my neighbors was galloping his horse up and down the street, in the dark!!

"But that's not enough! Got to have a brush bar on that truck, too! And hey, if you have bucks, hang some lights on that while you're at it!" i can't say much on this as i've been contemplating lift kit, brush bar, and top rack mounted lights for the OBS.... "he's a lumberjack and he's OK...."
:D it should really confuse the truck guys to see something with their visual cues but that acts like a Miata.... :D :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts