Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Limited
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Outbackers,

I've got a 2016 OB Limited that I wanna put a push bar and "Off-Road" lights on. Additionally I'd really like to make the toggle switch on the dash look presentable. I have done extensive Googling, and searching this forum, but cannot find a replacement switch for my dash. Can someone point me in the right direction??

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nobody, huh?? It crazy how difficult it is to find info on these buttons. Basically all other models of Subies, and all other years of Outbacks are easy to find replacement switches for. Guess not many people mount lights on these cars.

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,349 Posts
Someone posted an OEM fog light switch that pops into that panel. It would probably be suitable for what you want to do, but it cost more than $50. If you're still interested, I can probably find the thread, which gives the part #.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Someone said that the traction control switch is a two-way and I think they run like $10 bucks. I'd start there. I'm running ghetto at the moment.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Someone posted an OEM fog light switch that pops into that panel. It would probably be suitable for what you want to do, but it cost more than $50. If you're still interested, I can probably find the thread, which gives the part #.
If you could point me in the direction, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm willing to spend that much to make it look perfect.

Someone said that the traction control switch is a two-way and I think they run like $10 bucks. I'd start there. I'm running ghetto at the moment.

If it was my car I'd find a creative way to mount it as well; my wife, however, has higher standards than me when it comes to dash buttons, lol. Can you tell me though, how did you go about getting those empty buttons out? I was digging around in there last night and couldn't find any clips.

I'll look into the TC button, like you said. That may be a great option!

·
Registered
204 Posts
If it was my car I'd find a creative way to mount it as well; my wife, however, has higher standards than me when it comes to dash buttons, lol. Can you tell me though, how did you go about getting those empty buttons out? I was digging around in there last night and couldn't find any clips.

I'll look into the TC button, like you said. That may be a great option!
Here's a picture of the plug. The clips are totally not positioned how you'd think they'd be. (Vertical and needing to push the tabs in the least intuative way).

It's easier to pop out the entire panel, and then remove the buttons.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Here's a picture of the plug. The clips are totally not positioned how you'd think they'd be. (Vertical and needing to push the tabs in the least intuative way).

Now with an attachment!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,823 Posts
@bradze put these cool / clean looking catalogue things in his 2011 rally queen family truckerster.

...I think the wench power one is for when he wanted his starter " wife at the time" to pump gas.

...if your wife has a sister who likes customized offroading outbacks in greater seattle,...he is looking.

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,822 Posts
yeah, ill have the wench power switch run my air compressor when i get it and ill have that eject switch power my other driving lights. but gonna be a while.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@bradze put these cool / clean looking catalogue things in his 2011 rally queen family truckerster.

...I think the wench power one is for when he wanted his starter " wife at the time" to pump gas.

...if your wife has a sister who likes customized offroading outbacks in greater seattle,...he is looking.
Haha, that is awesome. I wish there were some of these switches that would fit in those little squares Subaru put in the 5th Gen OB!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Thanks so much for the photo! Like I said, I can't find any info about those stinkin buttons for the life of me. It really looks like they never intended for them to be removed. What a pain. I'll look into removing the whole panel. Any pointers for that operation??

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On a side note, Rock Auto shows this part AIRTEX/WELLS 1S14511 Fog Lamp Switch, under Subaru>2016>Outback>2.5>Electrical-Switch & Relay>Fog Lamp Switch. However, it doesn't list any photos, and shows that there's none in stock. Additionally, Google cannot find the part number on any other site. I'm going to check with the dealer I guess to see if they can show me a pic, and tell me if it's for that panel.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5
576 Posts
I mounted a toggle switch in that panel on my 2014. It's kind of hard to see down there in the dark so on the 2016 I put a lighted push button switch on the panel just above it. Lots easier to see/use.

Attachments

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,349 Posts
If you could point me in the direction, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm willing to spend that much to make it look perfect.
Here ya' go. Thread. The Subaru part number is in the first post.

I understand about wanting to make it look stock. I'm kind of looking for a way to turn the fog lights on without the headlights also being on; if I ever did that, I'd consider this switch, too, even at the price.

Here's a picture from the OP with it installed:

Take the diagram in post #2 of that thread with a grain of salt - that was a guess.

OP describes the connections in this post, but the colors might be different with your application, so you might still need to do some sleuthing.

Good luck!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here ya' go. Thread. The Subaru part number is in the first post.

I understand about wanting to make it look stock. I'm kind of looking for a way to turn the fog lights on without the headlights also being on; if I ever did that, I'd consider this switch, too, even at the price.

Take the diagram in post #2 of that thread with a grain of salt - that was a guess.

OP describes the connections in this post, but the colors might be different with your application, so you might still need to do some sleuthing.

Good luck!
Thank you for providing that. Only issue is, I think those top buttons are larger than the bottom row, and my top buttons are used for the trunk functions. More research is needed. If they will work down there, this is probably the route I'm going to go!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I mounted a toggle switch in that panel on my 2014. It's kind of hard to see down there in the dark so on the 2016 I put a lighted push button switch on the panel just above it. Lots easier to see/use.
I am REALLY digging the looks of this toggle switch. I'm thinking about putting it just under the blinker/light control arm (see crude render in attached pic). This would be more ideal for turning on/off while driving, and will still look relatively stock.

Do you have a link to where you got this particular one?

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's actually an "on/off" push button, not a toggle. I've supplied the link. You will need to check the clearance where you are planning on mounting it because it's pretty deep. The diagram indicates a little over an inch (29.5mm)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015WS4PC8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I appreciate it. I'm checking Amazon for shorter ones, but not finding any that are significantly shorter. Need to pull that panel off and see what the clearance is like. Either way, I think I can make this work.

EDIT: I just checked, and there is tons of room just forward of the blinker lever. Yup, this is going to happen. Seeing that I'm in the middle of Alaska, it is probably going to be a while before I get the stuff, and get it installed. I'll upload pics when it's done though.

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback
4 Posts
Man, well, just got a 2017 Outback and I am looking for a switch that doesn't cost 65$. You think by now there would be a clean switch that fits in the panel. I have found tons for my Toyota but nothing for the outback.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Man, well, just got a 2017 Outback and I am looking for a switch that doesn't cost 65$. You think by now there would be a clean switch that fits in the panel. I have found tons for my Toyota but nothing for the outback.
Ironic time for you to revive this thread as I have recently been looking into installing lights again. Still very limited options for these cars :cry:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts