Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback
4 Posts
Ironic time for you to revive this thread as I have recently been looking into installing lights again. Still very limited options for these cars :cry:
Very limited options and the only one i can find is the $65 oem traction control button. But, I'm doing an experiment. I have access to a 3D Printer and we are going to see if we can print out the dash panel the switches slide into and make the openings bigger to fit more of the common size(toyota) switches. I know i could dremel it but I want a cleaner look. Also, it would be easier to print the panel rather than doing a switch. Let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Limited
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Very limited options and the only one i can find is the $65 oem traction control button. But, I'm doing an experiment. I have access to a 3D Printer and we are going to see if we can print out the dash panel the switches slide into and make the openings bigger to fit more of the common size(toyota) switches. I know i could dremel it but I want a cleaner look. Also, it would be easier to print the panel rather than doing a switch. Let you know how it turns out.
What a time to be alive!! That is awesome. Please follow up on here if/when you get this completed. I'm thinking about just wiring the lights into the high-beams. Did that on my Tundra and it's really convenient.

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback
4 Posts
What a time to be alive!! That is awesome. Please follow up on here if/when you get this completed. I'm thinking about just wiring the lights into the high-beams. Did that on my Tundra and it's really convenient.
Yeah, I want to get my light bar on the roof wired nicely..not going to tie that into the high beams. but i am getting a bull bar too. I want to throw some lights onto that as well so I plant on having at minimum three total switches.

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback
4 Posts
Well, here is the update the cost to do original plan was not feasible. At $60 per switch if I went OEM and I wanted to wire three sets of lights, not going to spend $180 for buttons. Way to complicated to either print the button or a reprint of the dash panel on the the 3D printer I have access to. So, that was now off the table. I ended wiring a separate fuse box for the planned three sets of lights. This way it is kept isolated from vehicle electrical (mostly). I ran power directly from the battery to the new fuse box. The wiring harness was then connected to the fuse box. From the relay two lines were run into the cabin of the outback via firewall. One line went to the on/off switch the other went through the trim and up to the roof for light bar power. The on/switch was a three rocker switch panel with USB ports for charging as well, and a battery meter. The on/off switch was then plugged into the cigarette lighter to power the line to the relay and charge phones etc. Now we are printing a housing for the rocker switch panel to clean up the wires and it will neatly sit the waterfall cubby under the climate control. For the moment the wire to the light bar is coming into the cabin through the driver door (No leaks detected as it's been raining for two days). I really prefer not to drill into my if absolutely necessary. I have a thought in mind if I can find someone who can fabricate a bracket. Under the cargo racks on the outback is a bolt that you can access when you take the down the ceiling panel. I would like to get brackets fabricated that would go between the cargo rack and the roof of the outback and also run the power cable that way so it would all be clean and hidden. Attaching pictures and links to the materials used.

Wiring Harness
Lightbar Cover
Lead Wire to Switch from Relay
Cigarette Lighter connector
Rocker Switch Panel
Fuse Box
3D Plans for switch enclosure
IMG_20200310_123217.jpg IMG_20200310_123215.jpg IMG_20200310_123156.jpg IMG_20200310_123149.jpg IMG_20200310_123126.jpg IMG_20200310_123051.jpg IMG_20200310_123039.jpg

21 - 24 of 24 Posts