Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Outback 2.5L 4EAT
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on breathing some life into my base interior. Already replaced the door inserts with some suede material to get rid of the "seaweed" print. I've found where to buy replacement carpet for the cabin area, however I cannot find anything on replacing the cargo area panels. I am considering trying some VHT but would rather replace with new material. Anybody else looked into this before?

·
Registered
2000 Outback Wagon
17 Posts
I have thought about doing this too but have not put any real time into figuring out how I would proceed. I like to throw my dogs in the back there and that material absorbs lots of dog hair. If you get serious feel free to throw some ideas (or pictures) up for discussion.

Good Luck

·
Registered
2000 Outback 2.5L 4EAT
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finally did something

So I posted this thread a couple years ago and finally did something about my crusty old stained cargo carpet. I found the part numbers for replacement panels but no way was I going to spend $400.

I ended up finding some utility carpet at Lowe's for $20. Bought a can of 3M Hi-strength 90 for about $10.

Pulled the old carpet panels out and used a heat gun to soften the glue around the edges and yanked the carpet off from the panels. The part that covers the spare tire has staples that need to be removed from the plastic as well. I then used the old carpet as a rough template and cut the new carpet accordingly.

I glued the new carpet to the panels following the instructions on the can, then trimmed and shaped the material.

I still need to re-attach the hardware and grab handle but I think it turned out and matched the grey pretty well for a $30 job.

I think I will paint the lower plastic panel with some bed liner material and also replace the carpet on the seat backs with the same matching carpet.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is a great idea, very tempted to do this to my own. Really like the back area being more heavy duty area as its where I chuck all the crap to keep the passenger area clean and comfortable

1 - 4 of 4 Posts