Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2005 Outback L.L. Bean with the EZ30. The engine is bad and I would like to replace it with a used engine. The problem that I'm having is that I can't hardly find any replacement engines from US vehicles. It's tough enough finding an H6 motor from the Gen 3 cars, and nearly impossible to find one from the US.

My question is: How smoothly can I expect a similar JDM engine to install into my US vehicle? The photos I've seen of the engine look close, but I've read lots of differing information -- mostly about which motor has variable valve timing (mine does, via extra cam lobes) and which doesn't.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Please forgive me if I posted in the wrong section. I also tried searching, but didn't end up with much confidence in what I found.

Thanks,

Bryson

·
Registered
79 Posts
@cookbe I just did an engine swap on my 2006 3.0r (EZ30R) I bought a used JDM engine from JDM Hotline in PHX AZ for $900. you will have to transfer over your wiring harness, which is pretty easy as it is one piece. While on the hunt for a used engine you can expect to find broken sensors, rotted hoses and minor damage from shipping. The good thing is that all of these parts are easily moved over from your USDM engine. I did the swap by myself in a evening or two. This may greatly differ if you live in a place where salt is used. If you have any questions I am happy to help. One tip is to make sure you read the warranty carefully especially if you intend to do the swap yourself. I found a lot of places that state your warranty is immediately void if not installed by a professional shop. Not all of them just read carefully. Some places will even post videos of compression tests and leak down test if you ask. Good Luck!

Also Check out Dirt Cheap Daily on youtube. He does an amazing job documenting this whole process from purchasing and engine, prepping for install and the installation for our exact engine.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,564 Posts
The swap is pretty straightforward, but only expect to use the "long block" (cylinder heads and engine block) from the JDM engine. More parts than that are the same, but due to shipping damage, careless removal, or non-USDM emissions, you probably end-up transferring the intake manifold and oil pan from your original engine.

·
Registered
2005 Outback R LL Bean 3.0 H6 w/ 5 speed sport shift
597 Posts
I just did a JDM swap too(EZ30). I guess I was lucky because all I had to replace was a couple of sensors that got broken along the way. I paid $1350 for my engine and that was delivery to my garage door.

I was curious how it looked on the internals. So, I pulled the pan and it looked like it just came off the production line!

I was able to just reconnect the harness at the plug connectors and it was a breeze!

I do think the compression/leak down test confirmation is a good idea. The problem you'll run into there is they only run the video test if it has a transmission on the engine.

Mine started on the 5th crank and I'm very happy so far!

I was able to use the PS pump, alternator and AC compressor, so basically I got an entire powerplant!

I got my engine from JDM in Richardson Texas.

The one thing I did notice between US and Japan engines is I couldn't find a VIN number on the JDM engine......I was thinking I might could determine the exact year....

I would be happy to offer help if you get stuck on anything!

I

1 - 4 of 4 Posts