Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, long time gearhead, first time Subaru Owner, 04 Outback in Stone Silver 2.5 NA 5 Speed. Got it for a deal due to a blown engine, still ran like a bat out of **** on 3 cylinders, the missing one was in pieces, I was impressed, fighters these motors.

So did a little hunting online and found a yard not to far away with an 09' Legacy 2.5 NA 5 Speed with less mileage than my motor, checked it out, very clean and no timing belt or HG issues. I pulled the blown engine, good practice, also save a few bucks on core. Got the 09' Motor cheap pulling it myself, but I didn't realize they were using the I-Active Variable Valve timing stuff in that year.

So I guess my question is, what do I need to do to make this 09' Longblock work in my 04' Outback?

Can I switch in cams from an earlier SOHC head, or do I need to find heads to swap now?

Can the motor run fine without the I-active stuff with a little less power, or is it going to cripple the motor?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The answer is yes in case anyone was wondering, fired up a 2009 EJ253 Longblock using the EJ251 accessories, sensors, gears and whatever else I needed from the dead motor over the weekend. Purrs like a kitten, idles smoother and quieter than a 02' Forester I test drove earlier.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,308 Posts
miles on that Ej253?

(moved thread / updated title)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts