Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replacement fog lights - working after modifying circuit

I just replaced the fog lights in my 2000 OBW with some OEM replacements I bought off amazon. They lit up and blinked a few times but the light on the switch was intermittent. I was lucky to get a picture of them lit last night, but they didn't light this morning at all.

The fogs haven't been used in several years so I'm first guessing the relay may be misbehaving.

Checking the relay I measured the coil resistance at 100ohm, is this correct? For testing, I could swap with a similar relay in the box, and, run a hot wire from the battery to the upper contact (25) in the fuse box?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Looking at the schematic I have (WI-118 BU22-23)), could I bypass the relay contactor by using a wire between fuse no.7 (or switched ACC) and the WB wire going to pin 1 behind the fog light switch? They in such close proximity that they should be easy to wire. I would only be concerned about the current through the SMJ back to the lights.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another option would be to short pins 25 and 26 in the relay box (after removing the fog light relay) and disconnect the RG wire from FB-7 and connecting it to an ACC controlled fuse.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As best as I can tell the fog light switch and the two lights within it work fine. I suspect my issue may have been in the headlight switch, although the headlights work just fine.

My final solution was to run a wire from the load side of the cig lighter fuse to pin 1 of the fog light harness. This will turn on/off the fog lights with the ACC switch. No wires were cut, so it's easy to put everything back into place.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And one final addition - I mounted a small switch on the knee board directly under the original switch to manually turn on and off the fog lights.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts