Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I just recently got a used 2010 that only came with one key. I didn't think it'd be a big deal, but after calling around, the dealership seemed to be the only option. When I called, the quoted me $130 for the key to be cut, and then $65 for the service of having it programmed. Does that seem high to anyone else? Apparently the keys need to be cut by a special laser cutter, but it just seems expensive. If I get the slightly cheaper valet key, it won't really work well as a spare unless I always lock the car manually. Do I have any other options? Thanks.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
1,193 Posts
A mobile locksmith in our area was by far the best deal for me. Our 3.6R also came with just one factory key fob when we purchased it from an independent seller in November 2015. The guy came to our house, used our single key fob as the master, and 15 minutes later he handed me the new second key fob that continues to work perfectly today. He charged me $95 for his service which I considered to be a very fair price.

·
Registered
2014 Outback, 2.5 Premium / CVT
158 Posts
A mobile locksmith in our area was by far the best deal for me. Our 3.6R also came with just one factory key fob when we purchased it from an independent seller in November 2015. The guy came to our house, used our single key fob as the master, and 15 minutes later he handed me the new second key fob that continues to work perfectly today. He charged me $95 for his service which I considered to be a very fair price.
Care to share his info? I might be interested.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
1,193 Posts
^^ I thought his info would be in my 3.6R maintenance folder. I just looked and it is not in there. It may be in my 2015 tax records which are in a box up in my attic. Next time I am up there I will take a look.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,377 Posts
Buying a blank doesn't do me a whole lot of good, does it? How do I get it cut? I was told by a mechanic that there was proprietary software to program it. How would I get it cut and programmed?

Thanks.
Reread post #3 in this thread.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does the key work, or is it just the remote for the car? Thank you

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
1,193 Posts
It is a complete Subaru key fob that does everything it is supposed to, i.e. start the vehicle, unlock and lock the doors, etc. I would never purchase just a remote. Not having at least two proper keys for every vehicle is risky and dangerous.

·
Registered
(1) 1998 Outback 5 Speed (2) 2011 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT
26 Posts
I have the same problem. The dealer gave me a price of $195, plus $75 to program. Independent locksmith can copy the key, but without electronics for $85.
Buy a blank transponder remote key online and have your local locksmith cut and program it. Still expensive, but a lot less than the dealer. I use the Valet Key as my "hide-a-key."

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 Outback Limited 2.5
72 Posts
Jon, I am also in Raleigh and just lost my key. Can you please pm me the locksmith you used? Thanks

·
Registered
2014 3.6R Limited
1,210 Posts
$159 for the key cut and programming at the dealer for me. Stuff costs. I get that but 2 1/2 hours to cut & program?
Kindda like the what seems to be excessive fees you pay doctors when you need certain tests etc. Your helping pay for the investment in the equipment that the doctor dealer bought to perform the service.

·
Registered
2014 OBW Premium (Ice Silver Metalic)
309 Posts
I'm not complaining about what I paid for the key and the programming By others' accounts I got a relatively good deal. What tweaked me was sitting for 2 1/2 hours waiting for the key.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.