Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Kiwi Moderator, ,
Long term Subaru Owner - Current Daily Drive: 2007 Lexus RX350, and E46 BMW 328i
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what tyres people are using to replace the originalYokohamas on their Outbacks. I have 2002 H6 VDC wagon which has travelled 40km and needs new tyres soon.

So far various tyre dealers I have seen have suggested Firestone Firehawks, Bridgestone GIII, Hankook OPTIMA, Simex (Dunlop) or Goodyear NCT5.

Mostly we drive open road (2 to 3 hr trips @ 100km/h) and we often tow a trailer. Seldom use on tracks or rough gravel roads to go fishing etc, but that is about as much off-road use as my car gets.

I will be keen to hear experiences good and bad.

Thanks,

SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
Do a search on tires, there are about a million threads already about this ;)

I recommend Nokian WR's...

Kiwi Moderator, ,
Long term Subaru Owner - Current Daily Drive: 2007 Lexus RX350, and E46 BMW 328i
Discussion Starter #3
Have been unable to find anyone who imports Nokians into New Zealand.

Got close to getting Falken Ziex 512's but in the end went for a set of Bridgestone Turanza ER30's - If they are good enough for BMW 3 series, Lesus GS300, Mercedes C Class and Porsche to put on the Cayenne as original equipment then they may just be Ok for an Outback.

Will report again after a few thousand km's.

Cheers,
GRANT

Kiwi Moderator, ,
Discussion Starter #4
Last post I said ..................... If they are good enough for BMW 3 Series, Lesus GS300, Mercedes C Class and Porsche to put on the Cayenne as original equipment then they may just be Ok for an Outback................ WRONG........ !!!!!!!!!

My car is going back to the tyre shop tomorrow to have the Turanza's taken off and replaced with the Bridgestone Grid III's....... the grip in the wet is hardly better than the almost completely worn Yokohama's and frankly I always thought they were pretty average.

Also, my boss has just got a new V8 Holden Adventra (Aussies will know about that) and did a Holden advanced driver course where the instructor told him to take the Turanza's off and replace with Grid III's.

Read the {Porsche Cayenne drivers comments - they say the Turanza's are death traps in the ice and snow...

I consider myself lucky that the tyre shop is being good about it, after all I made my choice and they could easily have refused to change them (and I only have to pay the difference plus fitting/balancing) so they are being pretty reasonable.

GRANT

Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
Ottie I got new Yokohama G900's and am happy with them, there is NO other tyre available in Australia that is the same size as original and offers any pretence at being used off road. I've had the original G-Grid Bridgestone's and liked them apart from noise levels. Loved a set of Potenza RE711's I had on my BMW and they tell me the G III is the successor to that, so you should have good grip now.

Cheers,
Karl

PS Let me know how the G III's go, once my lease is up I'll be looking for higher performanec tyres.

Kiwi Moderator, ,
Discussion Starter #6
No complaints so far - after 1 day that is!

My boss has put these on his 5 series after what the Holden driving instructor told him (The Adventra is his wifes). He replaced Pirellis and drives fairly demandingly and he loves them.

Incidentally, he wanted to get her an Outback but he can't seem to stop breeding and needed the extra seats option in the Adventra!

Offroad is not much of an issue for us as long as we can cope with some firm sand, gravel and the odd riverbank or dirt road, and I think these should do that in good conditions. Snow (light snow, not like in Nth America!) and ice and wet grip on road was more important to me.

Will report again after a few thousand km....

Registered
Ottie

I replaced my Yokies with a set of ContEcoContact. Great road tyre and reduced road noise.

All driving is in Sydney on our SH8TE roads.

Cheers

Hawk:)

Registered
H6 Ltd My 02
I have just replaced my tyres (on the advice of the Yokie tyre dealer) on our late 01 H6 with the new Yokahama A539 V rated rubber with same width and profile.
They were certainly cheaper than the OE rubber and the V rating impressed me further for tar use since it never goes off road.

I can't be certain but to me I think I get more road noise off them????
Anyway they seem to be doing the trick.
Rob.

Kiwi Moderator, ,
Discussion Starter #9
Jondalar said:
PS Let me know how the G III's go, once my lease is up I'll be looking for higher performanec tyres.
7,000km later I have no complaints -

I think they are slightly noisier and they are certainly a little harder ridin on bumps etc but they ride well on the road and cruising on the highway and certainly have better grip dry and wet (noticeably!).

They give an edge of confidence that was not there before when you push that little bit harder than usual as you do on the odd occasion...

Would buy again at this stage - but haven't experienced any winter conditions yet.

OBXT Moderator, ,
2005 Outback XT Limited MT
Hero Boots said:
Do a search on tires, there are about a million threads already about this.
They're looking for tyres, man, not tires!:jump3:

Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
Mudge said:

They're looking for tyres, man, not tires!:jump3:
Of course, only amurukins drive around on tires! :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts