Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 subaru outback 2.5I
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone!, I'm here today to hopefully have parts wisdom bestowed onto me in the form of a cv axle shaft I'm replacing in my subaru outback limited 2.5i front passenger side. Normally I'm sure I'd get loads of input on many different awesome parts from around the parts world with great reasons as to why I can't miss with them. While I still hope to get great recommendations from the everlasting well of subaru knowledge you guys possess here your recommendations are unfortunately be narrowed down to a group of companies and parts that will fit my ride on Amazon only. Why would you ever do that well I am financially challenged recently not heavy on cash most of which will be going to labor for my mechanic. What I do have is about $200 of Amazon money/credit from a return. Most Amazon options seem to be under that amount even for 2 which many people have advised I replace as a pair. I figure I'll look up the part put in best avg review and list what looks like the top 4-5 options and you guys with your vast and greatly appreciated amounts of knowledge I find myself greatly appreciative for time and time again can tell me what you think. I'm gonna list in a reply post the parts but feel free to hop on Amazon take a look get full optics. Thanks Daniel...Ps car was out being driven by wife who was late. I get a call I hear a small click as she started to return home from about 2 miles away. A mile from the house I get a text it's getting louder. By the time she reached our block which we live at the far end I could hear that good old cv clack when she turned onto our street. It was loud all the way on the other end there. Has been sitting in driveway since

·
Registered
2005 subaru outback 2.5I
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
1st and most highly rated the Cardone 66-7355 New CV Constant Velocity Drive Axle Shaft
Product Line Font Parallel Screenshot

tthe 2nd is ODM SB-8-8527 New CV Axle Shaft/Drive Axle
Product Line Font Parallel Audio equipment

The 3rd GSP NCV66002 CV Axle Shaft Assembly
Microphone Line Font Audio equipment Cable

The 4th Detroit Axle - Complete Front Driver Or Passenger Side CV Axle Shaft
Font Line Cable Screenshot Auto part

OK SO HERE ID SOME PAIRS SOME HAD HIGHER RATINGS BUT WITH UNDER TEN RATINGS I POSTED THE MOST HEAVILY RATED 1ST

PAIR 1 AutoShack DSK362PR Pair of 2 Front
White Light Art Auto part Fashion accessory

Pair 2 DTA SB20432043 front Left Right Pair - 2 New
White Light Line Font Auto part

Pair 3 SCITOO CV Axle Drive Shafts
White Light Product Audio equipment Font

Pair 4 FEIPARTS Automotive Replacement CV Axle Shaft
Audio equipment Font Technology Auto part Electronic device

Now as you can see these were just picked by me putting In subaru outback 2.5i limited 2005 and looking at the avg highest customer ratings some are silly in the Pair section as they have 1 and no reviews on a few. Please feel free to put my car into Amazon along with cv axle and see what you would do because I'm sure, well I know it will likely be a far more knowledge driven choice than I can make. I just want the best for my car I can get with my Amazon bux in my price range. Please weigh in on importance of doing them as a pair Is it the norm? highly advisable?. I appreciate you all any time or answer posts you can give are a blessing thanks Daniel

·
Registered
2009 3.0R Outback
828 Posts
As far as buying from Amazon, Cardone OEM remans are your best option. Keep in mind there is a chance of getting a bad one and they don't come with dust baffles. You would need to reuse the old baffles (assuming your current axles are OEM) or source new baffles from Subaru, if still available.

·
Registered
2005 subaru outback 2.5I
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As far as buying from Amazon, Cardone OEM remans are your best option. Keep in mind there is a chance of getting a bad one and they don't come with dust baffles. You would need to reuse the old baffles (assuming your current axles are OEM) or source new baffles from Subaru, if still available.

Thanks I'm leaning towards the Cardone's your advice is another push towards that being my choice

·
Registered
05 GT wagon, 09 Spec B, 18 3.6R Outback
1,383 Posts
FWIW, I'd buy this from a local auto parts store. They have free lifetime warranty. I've gone through a few before, I've got a good one on Honda's. My trusted mechanic has even replaced one they put in on my 05 GT wagon years ago.

Makes things much easier when you can pull it back out, take it back to your local store and get another one in a couple hours, can Amazon do that.

Some things are best purchased locally.

Reactions: Dan2.5ihelp2diy?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,167 Posts
If I had the money I'd always buy OEM. I'd get everything fixed at the Dealership as well.
get them at Napa, buy Napa HD, (you get a better boot)

buy new and
not used / remaned. (abused).

I got 2 fronts on my 2002 H6, and 2 on my retired 2002 H4. Never a dud in the bunch. (I have had OEM's rebooted, but its a drag race on time, ...and some of my had actually grenaded inside, so not good candidates for rebuilding ).

pick them up at a local store, (these things are heavy to ship).

something like $90 each last time I bought.

·
Registered
2008 2.5i 5M
8 Posts
I have a 2008 Outback 2.5i manual that has a split boot (had the infamous Subaru reman axles installed 7/12/19 at the dealership along with all-new clutch due to a $30 failed release bearing). Subaru reman axles are NLA, so I don't need to bother telling anyone not to buy them! Subaru parts are 1-year so a 2 year old factory boot split is SOL and I'm out $1K along with the reman not being as good as the good original axles they removed (but I digress... just kinda pissed about that). Two new dealership axles installed are quoted at $1,400. I'm already doing all 4 struts with KYB Quik-Struts (rears installed, just waiting or the axle to do the fronts), so might as well do the axle myself.
Tomorrow I'll receive from Amazon one Cardone Select 66-7355HD ( thermoplastic outboard boot) www.amazon.com.dp/B0189H25X0 for $70.91. Since my driver side Subaru reman axle is perfect (except for the split inner boot) I'm going to reboot it when the Cardone is installed so I have a spare. Hopefully the Cardone will be fine, and since this is the buying season "Returnable until Jan 31, 2022", I'll have 2 months to either have a good Cardone installed and a rebooted Subaru reman for when the passenger boot splits... OR I'll have the rebooted Subaru reman axle installed and the failed Cardone returned by 1/31/22.
I'll update when I have some miles on the Cardone.
No reason to change both axles, they are completely independent in function, and no cost savings to do the second while in there (unless you happen to have both disconnected from the transmission like when I had the clutch replaced... there was a small cost savings to do both when the 2nd set of boots were 5 years old).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts