Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hit a curb turning a corner a few months back. Rashed one of the wheels but didn't think anything else of it. Noticed my car was drifting to the left on the highway so I brought it in for an alignment. The techs notified me that my front tie rod was visibly bent and the control arm was also pushed back (caster was on the far side of adjustment range and couldn't be brought to center).

Anyways. They wanted to charge me nearly $600 to replace the two. Oh and $100 for a cabin air filter. Laughable.

Rock auto has the tie rod for between $20 and $30 but I can't find anywhere that sells the front arm. Ideas? Anyone else do this yet? Will document as I go but it doesn't seem too bad based on the service manual.

·
Registered
103 Posts
FWIW when I did the same in my VW I also managed to wreck the knuckle as well. Goes without saying, but after replacing the two parts get the thing aligned. If they can't get it aligned, it is likely an issue with the knuckle.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
16 Posts
1. Do you have to R&R the ball joint? If so, might want to consider a new one.

2. Stop driving like a 16 year old girl.

:)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Good call... will place an order tomorrow. They have the lower control arm for $82. The dealer wanted $255.
SubaruGenuineParts.com also takes Subaru Bucks if you have them. Also, the price difference seems quite a bit. Perhaps you should send SubaruGenuineParts an email first and make sure you are ordering the exact part you need. Just a thought. My experience is that they respond quickly to all emails.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
You could also make an insurance claim, hitting a curb is covered by collision coverage.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SubaruGenuineParts.com also takes Subaru Bucks if you have them. Also, the price difference seems quite a bit. Perhaps you should send SubaruGenuineParts an email first and make sure you are ordering the exact part you need. Just a thought. My experience is that they respond quickly to all emails.
I had the tech at the dealership point out exactly what parts they wanted to replace. They also wanted $100 for a cabin air filter and $240 for the inner tie rod :gasp:

I did fill in the VIN info and part description as part of the checkout process.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You could also make an insurance claim, hitting a curb is covered by collision coverage.
deductible would be more than the cost of parts $132 (so far), and almost the cost of the quote. not to mention an increase in premiums.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1. Do you have to R&R the ball joint? If so, might want to consider a new one.

2. Stop driving like a 16 year old girl.

:)
I hope your head gasket repair takes months. Let me come over and help drop stuff inside your engine case.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had the tech at the dealership point out exactly what parts they wanted to replace. They also wanted $100 for a cabin air filter and $240 for the inner tie rod :gasp:

I did fill in the VIN info and part description as part of the checkout process.
Great! Good luck then. Hope you Outback is back on the road soon.:)

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
When my wife curbed a tire on hers it killed the wheel bearing. Funny thing is we drove with no real symptoms of damage until I noticed the steering wheer slightly off center. Went in for an alignment, still no symptoms. The following weekend, the bearing started growling when I took the car out on the highway. Bearing/hub unit was replaced the following week.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
8 Participants
Wagondude
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing