Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace passenger side garnish, wheel lug from dump truck put a hole in it. Any recommendation for removal?

·
Registered
4 Posts
What about the double sided tape on the door garnish?

I munched the passenger side rear door garnish on my 05 XT turbo outback wagon and I think from these forums I have divined most of what I need to know about how it is mounted (many clips plus tape). It appears that the clips are set up such that you push the garnish toward the rear of the car to release the clips from the garnish.
One thing I have seen mentioned but not fully addressed is dealing with the double sided tape which runs along the top edge of the garnish. Wondering if anyone has an educated method for getting past it? It appears that I can pry the whole top edge away from the door and shred the tape, but I am trying to find out of there is a more sophisticated way to do it that might reduce my chances or wrecking door/paint. Like a long narrow razor blade to slice it in half?
I'm not as concerned about destroying the half busted garnish that's currently on my car, but I found a replacement at a junkyard and I don't want to damage an otherwise perfectly good door and/or paint job. (I'm guessing the junkyard owner would appreciate that too).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Clips need to be popped, not slid!

I munched the passenger side rear door garnish on my 05 XT turbo outback wagon and I think from these forums I have divined most of what I need to know about how it is mounted (many clips plus tape). It appears that the clips are set up such that you push the garnish toward the rear of the car to release the clips from the garnish.
One thing I have seen mentioned but not fully addressed is dealing with the double sided tape which runs along the top edge of the garnish. Wondering if anyone has an educated method for getting past it? It appears that I can pry the whole top edge away from the door and shred the tape, but I am trying to find out of there is a more sophisticated way to do it that might reduce my chances or wrecking door/paint. Like a long narrow razor blade to slice it in half?
Turn out some of that is wrong - some of the clips slide out forward, some backward, in spite of what some of the diagrams show.

Since the junkyard had a replacement piece, I decided to futz around with my busted up but still on the door garnish and see what makes the most sense. Once I had it off (broke most of the clips in the process!), I knew the exact clip placement and figured out a routine for the junkyard.
So the answer is once you get the double sided tape released, a simple trim popping tool is all you need.
First I used some good old fashioned harbor freight plastic trim kit tools and some plastic putty knives to pry the top of the garnish ever so slightly away from the door, and then drenching the top edge of the garnish (and hopefully the tape) with WD-40, the universal solvent.
Then I slid a thin piece of aluminum flashing (the kind you would use for roofs etc., but perhaps a bit thinner) along the length of the garnish, like a flexible xacto knife. If you're careful, you can avoid scratching the paint, and slice the tape in half, and the WD-40 keeps it from wanting to stay sticky. Note that you only need to go about a half inch into the garnish to get at the tape - it is right along the top edge, and about an inch around the corner on the front side. Also note that the whole upper tip of the fender end has sticky tape on it, so you need to slide the aluminum flashing in all the way till you feel tit hit the clip, which is about 4 inches from the end.
Once I could run the aluminum flashing easily along the top edge and tip, I got the appropriate trim tool and popped all the clips. Be careful or you may break the clip holders.
Took it home, cleaned it up, now all I need is some new tape and a little paint and I'm back in business.

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i
405 Posts
What type of double sided tape did you use? FSM doesn't say anything about which tape to use of course

1 - 6 of 6 Posts