Subaru Outback Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
I has car.
4,621 Posts
Bump

I just bought an '01 VDC yesterday, and I really need to get my JVC double-DIN installed asap.

Which would be the easiest way to install it? I don't have a problem keeping the McIntosh amp, if that's easiest. Any pictures of the homemade harness mentioned above?

I noticed the front right speaker is popping under any nominal load. There is also some crackling all around when barely touching the volume knob on the Mc stereo. Do you think this is a HU problem, or the amp flaking out? My bet is on the HU.

Thanks!
crackling speakers could also be disintegrating surrounds. The one McStereo I've dissected (also from a 2001) had front speakers with completely deteriorated surrounds.

They can be re-foamed.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy 2.5i Wagon 4EAT; 2005 Forester XS 4EAT
672 Posts
Thanks lockmedic.

I did find pinouts for the DIN cable. I found a very helpful thread talking about the Mc system, with good tips on making the connections. I have 4 different websites open with information about it. ;)

I'm just waiting for the new DIN cable to get here... :)

·
Premium Member
I has car.
4,621 Posts
You'll be sharing that info with us won't you? :)

·
Registered
672 Posts
You'll be sharing that info with us won't you? :)
Absolutely! :)

Stock head unit information -- pin-outs, aux inputs, and more - NASIOC
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...ut-13-pin-din-amp-connector-mcintosh-hus.html
Subaru WRX radio harness pin-out

This one has some great info in the comments. Look for the posts by Vinnie, and cj near the end of the comments.
McIntosh EF-1080I Information My Blog

This is the 13-pin DIN cable I ordered. I just have to verify the wiring colors to what's listed on the nzlamb site. Once I verify the pinout, I can get to work. :)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KENWOOD-13-...400126470086?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:MOTORS:3160
I'll be taking pics and documenting the progress. :)

UPDATE: The colors do NOT match anything on that site. You'll have to use a multimeter to determine the pins and wires.

·
Registered
2001, European Outback, H6
150 Posts
I would love to see some pictures of you JVC headunit installed. And while you are at it: Could you post some pictures of the subwoofer? I am very interested in the housing of it because I bought an active subwoofer that fits in the spare wheel but I am not completely satisfied with it. So I am looking for alternatives that don't take away any trunk space...

I will change my headunit as well (again). But I will go with a Kenwood double-din. It will replace my old Panasonic head from my previous car that I put in when I installed the subwoofer.

Does anyone know the diameters of the speakers? I am thinking about replacing the stock ones as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here's what I did in mine, in case anyone cares. I have the tape deck hooked up through the aux input on the Pioneer. Yeah, I still use cassette tapes! I like still having the weather band, too. If I had extra money, I'd get a double din unit, with maybe DVD. But, this beat up Pioneer has served well, this being it's 3rd install.
Hey, I was wondering how you set that up, and if you have any pictures and/or instructions as I was thinking of doing the same thing.

·
Registered
2000 OBW, AT, 290.5k miles when I sold it
61 Posts
Hey, I was wondering how you set that up, and if you have any pictures and/or instructions as I was thinking of doing the same thing.
You know, I really don't remember now! I'd have to pull it out and see. I was thinking I got some plugs out of a junkyard and made a harness, because I hate to cut factory wiring. But I can't for the life of me remember if I did that or not. I can try to look tonight and maybe let you know tomorrow.

·
Registered
2000 OBW, AT, 290.5k miles when I sold it
61 Posts
Ok zapper, I opened mine up last night to refresh my memory. What I did was, I got an aftermarket adapter from who knows where to plug into the factory harness, the car end. Then I wired up my Pioneer plug to that. I went to a junkyard and grabbed a second factory plug with about 12" of wire to plug into the factory tape deck/weatherband radio. I spliced the power and illumination wires in where Pioneer connects to the adapter. Then finally, the Pioneer had an odd plug on the back to connect a cd changer. I found a pigtail that plugs into that with a pair of RCA plugs in the other end. Pretty sure I found that on Ebay. Then I figured out which the front pair of outputs from the factory radio were, through my junkyard harness, and put RCA plugs on them. I just keep the factory radio faded to the front. That way, the factory wiring is all intact, and if I ever wanted to go back to OE, it's still plug and play. I hope this all makes sense.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I would love to see some pictures of you JVC headunit installed. And while you are at it: Could you post some pictures of the subwoofer? I am very interested in the housing of it because I bought an active subwoofer that fits in the spare wheel but I am not completely satisfied with it. So I am looking for alternatives that don't take away any trunk space...

I will change my headunit as well (again). But I will go with a Kenwood double-din. It will replace my old Panasonic head from my previous car that I put in when I installed the subwoofer.

Does anyone know the diameters of the speakers? I am thinking about replacing the stock ones as well.
Ask, and you shall receive...

I believe the door speakers are 6.5", but I still have to verify that. Anyone?

Mine still has the stock McIntosh amp and sub. If I can't find decent replacement 8 ohm door speakers, I may have to rewire them, rendering this whole job a waste.

I'm still getting some interference whine, which I didn't have before I put everything back together. It isn't terrible, but it can't be heard as long as music is playing. I have a feeling something might've worked loose during the install. I have to pull it back out to hook up an antenna extension cable, so I might mess with it some more.

Attachments

·
Registered
2001, European Outback, H6
150 Posts

·
Registered
2002 OBW 2.5i Wintergreen/Titanium
35 Posts
What does it need connected to? If I buy the '01 VDC I'm looking at, this is one of the first things I'll be doing. I can't live without Bluetooth. LOL
Hey man sorry bout late response, haven't been on in a while. Simply connect the blue power antenna wire from the car to harness blue power antenna wire connected to the rear of your new HU instead of leaving them hanging or taped off. I initially blew it off because I don't have a power antenna like most everyone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
kenwood installation

group,
thank you for the provided info.
I am installing the 2 DIN Kenwood HU with GPS (do not have model no. on me). I removed this unit from my old 08STI and putting it into 2000 Outback Limited.
The installation goes pretty straight forward as it loosk like this unit was dedicated for subarus.
I bought that 13 PIN plug and rewired old STI plug by colors with no issues. After reading here I understand that ANT.CONT has to be connected with blue wire in order to have better reception.

BUT, I know my outback has amplifier under the passenger seat. I also see that head unit has dedicated P.CONT wire for amplifier initiation. There is no that wire in the 13 PIN plug, so I assume this needs to be connected into one of the factory cables. Which one?
Is there any other modification required to these wires? I will try to make some pictures tomorrow during the day.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts