Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all of the problems w/replacement headlight bulbs that I've been reading, anyone have a recommendation for a reliable, lasting model bulb?

Thank you,
K.

·
Super Moderator
12,108 Posts
A +30 or +50 will be a noticable improvbement for your low beams. The upgrade to a 9011 HIR bulb does wonders for the high beams.

·
Registered
16,964 Posts
A +30 or +50 will be a noticable improvbement for your low beams. The upgrade to a 9011 HIR bulb does wonders for the high beams.
do you have to disable DRL to run those 9011s?

oh, here's daniel sterns store site; Candlepower Shopping Homepage (no connection, in fact, I think i bought my Narva +50s from Amazon)

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
2001 I replaced Head lights about every 2-3 yrs. Get a pair of thin cotton gloves use them when unpackaging the bulb and while installing. Any oil on the bulb from your hands will impact its life. Also when I was spending lots of time on logging roads doing Mt bike trips etc - the bulbs had a much shorter life. The hotter brighter burning bulbs had shorter life than the cooler bulbs which were not super bright especially when running on the logging roads. Hot bulbs vs rough roads generally results in a very short life span.

·
Super Moderator
12,108 Posts
The 2000-04 use the low beams for the DRL, so the 9011 high beam upgrade is no issue there.

But I have disabled my DRL's, yes. I usually run my lights on full anyways.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
A good year after I installed my 9011s, I'm convinced it was the right way to go. As more and more stock vehicles come with HIDs, and more and more people put in junky retrofits and overdriven 'blue' wannabe HID lights, the more I hate them. I've seen very few that don't irritate me. Exceptionally bright conventional truly white bulbs bother me less. The mod to make the 9011s fit is really dead easy. Because the fog lights on our 2nd Gen. cars are really 9006 high beam bulbs, I'm going to get 9012s for those.

Another thought on headlights - I know more light is always better for you to see with, but in consideration of how they are used, I will NOT 'upgrade' the low beams to be any brighter than the original, stock bulbs. As long as they are the correct color temperature (which btw, all this 'Kelvin' business isn't actually about how bright the bulb actually is), I'm not going to up the lumens/candlepower. Why not? Consider when you use your low beams vs high beams. If someone is in front of me coming toward me or leading the way, I shouldn't have my high beams on. I don't need to add brightness for 'my benefit' at the expense of the other driver. I certainly don't think I want to blind the guy coming at me at about the same speed as I'm going. My brights are for when I have no such issues - so that's where I'm throwing my extra illumination.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It only takes abount 5 minutes to change both headlight bulbs. I have a 2003 outback and use Narva +50 which last me about a year. Twist off the large cover that protects the bulb conections, release the locking wire that holds the bulb in the socket, unplug bulb. Plug in new bulb, insert in socket, attach locking wire, twist large cover back on. Thats it, I don't disconnect anything else or touch anything else. 5 minutes. I don't understand the so called problem changing headlight bulbs.

·
Registered
195 Posts
which is the model number for the narva's you guys are referring to, and for that matter the other ones.

·
Super Moderator
12,108 Posts
Agreed. I went with +30 as they were $20 and the +50 I found were in the 40-50 range.

That's a good price for those Narva bulbs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
...bought low beams from Daniel Stern - 65 watt and they work well on my '07 outback. Subaru lights are inferior relative to both the Ford and BMW that I also own. This is definetly a disappointment.

Also ordered special high beam bulbs which Daniel ordered and they work exceptionally well

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
8 Participants
Ranger131
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing