Subaru Outback Forums banner

Replacing headlights on my 97 Outback. Any recommendations?

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Subi Dave 
#1 ·
Hi everyone.

The original factory headlights (and fog lights) on my 1997 Subaru Outback are very dim so I've decided to replace them this Winter.

I live in a small town in the Rocky Mountains with dim street lights, streets with no lights and lots of snowy nights.

Can anyone recommend a decent brand of headlights (and fog lights) for me to purchase based on the conditions I will be driving this Winter?

I saw an ad on TV the other day for Silverstar Ultras but they seem expensive and I heard that they don't last long. Does anyone have these lights installed on their Outback? Would you recommend them?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Dave.

#2 ·
probably get more luck cleaning the headlight lenses. the glass/plastic (depending which you have) get pitted, yellowed, chipped up.

you can start with simple polish, it'll clean them right up often and significantly increase brightness.

they have headlight restore kits (google it - there's tons of them), but they're essentially just abrasive products for cleaning and polishing:

Amazon.com: 3M 39008 Headlight Lens Restoration System: Automotive

otherwise i've gotten the cheapies off of ebay brand new aftermarkets a couple of times and they've always been fine.

#4 ·
also, what type of bulbs does the car require?

there are some slightly brighter bulbs available for you after you get the lenses cleared up.

Narva +30 and +50, some HIR bulbs - at least for some applications.

even cleaning and re-seating connectors and grounds can help a little.

#5 ·
#6 ·
+2 on the polishing of the lenses if the need it. As for the Silverstars, I've never run them but my son did on his Hyundai. He got about a year out of the driver side and about a 1.5 years on the passenger side. They were definitely brighter than the stock lights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.