Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted in a couple of other threads inquiring on how this was done and one person said it was easy but even searching bulb vendor and manufacturer sites didn't help at all. I finally did it this afternoon and this is how.

Tools needed:

Flashlight

Procedure:

1. The passenger side will be easy and the driver side only slightly a bit slower because you have to work around the windshield washer fill spout. The passenger side gets 8.5/10 and the driver's 8/10 for ease.

2. In the back of each HID housing is a metal plate and attached to it is a clip on electrical connector. Leave the passenger side on (can take off if you wish) but take off the driver side.

3. The metal covers look like a PITA to take off but they aren't. Simply twist them counterclockwise, using the two mini fins for a grip. They come off very easy and you'll be surprised by the ease.

4. Once you loosen and take off the covers you will see a braided metal strap the connects the bulb housing to the electrical connector. Do nothing with this. It's flexible and won't get in your way.

5. At the base of the bulb where the other end of the braid attaches you will see a little aluminum metal housing that joins with the back of the bulb. At the back of this housing is a Lock/Unlock arrow. Twist the entire housing counterclockwise until it comes off. It's about an 1/8th of a turn and pull the unit out. It turns very easy.

6. Now you're staring at the base of the bulb and it's held in place by the standard spring loaded clips. Once you've unlocked those the bulb is removed.

7. When you put in your replacement bulb orient it until it locks in place.

8. Reverse the above steps to finish the installation.

Total installation time including admirring your work and going blind looking into your new bulbs:. 20 mins.

·
Premium Member
2017 Limited 2.5i
1,131 Posts
Nicely done write up, but I’m left wondering....if you have factory HID what benefit is there of changing the HID bulbs?

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nicely done write up, but I’m left wondering....if you have factory HID what benefit is there of changing the HID bulbs?
The OEM are Phillips running at 4300. This is fairly white but not into the yellow spectrum. Most OEM are 4300.

I switched to Phillips 4800 which is really white and no blue. It gives better illumination but at the expense of bulb life. OEM is about 2,500 hours and these will be around 1,300. That's also a long time. The new bulbs are street legal and not Off Road Only.

·
Registered
18 Outback 3.6r Touring
596 Posts
I like the Osram(Sylvania) CBI. I replaced the stock bulbs in my VW with them and it was an amazing upgrade. 5000k, 3500 lumens and an estimated 2000 hour life.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update:

After nearly an hour of night driving the bulbs are very good for the color they produce relative to the objects and things encountered while driving.

These were not inexpensive and the question is are they worth it for a particular type of driving. If you do almost nothing but city driving where there is light from other cars, oncoming traffic, street lights and reflected light, I will say they probably aren't. You can clearly see the white difference but you have to look for it. If you look you can tell but it doesn't jump out at you with all the other lights around you.

If your driving takes you on country roads, county roads, long stretches of highway, mountain roads and other places where there is minimal other light this is a huge upgrade. You can see things in a clearer white light and seeing it sooner or clearer makes for safer driving. Sometimes when I drive at night where I can't use high beams my desire to see a little better has been thoroughly met with these. These really excel at this.

Downsides and last impressions:

The cost is up to you however the benefit is worth it to me. It's a noticeable improvement that makes for better driving where I drive but I'd think twice if all I did was city driving. The color is white without any blue. I abhor those blue tinted lights as much as I do the Sylvania Silverstars. Some LED headlights are bothersome when they approach you but not these. The cutoff is very quite good and other people dont flash you thinking you have your high beams on. A good improvement over factory.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Can you tell us which exact philips bulb you put in? OR does anybody else know which ones fit?

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you tell us which exact philips bulb you put in? OR does anybody else know which ones fit?
The bulb size is D4S. The particular Phillips are the X-tremeVision Gen 2 + 150%.

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
630 Posts
glad I spent the money and bought mine with factory LED headlights as they truly are a huge difference maker- ive had nothing but halogen bulb vehicles in the past. the constant chase for a brighter halogen or what color HID to run was always frustrating.

I came in this thread thinking "**** theres a better brighter option than the factory LEDs" then I realized you were talking about halogens. anyone ever upgrade their harness?

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,166 Posts
@paroxysym, just to clear things up, HIDs are xenon, regular incandescent headlights are halogen, and our HIDs are OEM. I'd probably have gone LED as well if they were available, but everyone here got the best headlights we could for our particular model years - LED wasn't an option until 2018. That said, I love the HIDs, and the ability to easily tweak the color is a plus to me.

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
630 Posts
@paroxysym, just to clear things up, HIDs are xenon, regular incandescent headlights are halogen. I'd probably have gone LED as well if they were available, but everyone here got the best headlights we could for our particular model years - LED wasn't an option until 2018. That said, I love the HIDs, and the ability to easily tweak the color is a plus to me.
i know what youre referring to- i ran an aftermarket HID kit in one of my previous vehicles. just too many components for my liking- ballast and length harnesses, etc. i too do appreciate the availability of various colors in HID.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,166 Posts
Sorry, didn't clarify, my point was (ICYMI) that HID was an OEM option for MY 2015-2017. LEDs replaced them for the 2018s. I would never mess with aftermarket HIDs (which is a sentiment I think a lot of folks here share).

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,294 Posts
I installed an aftermarket HID kit in a friends 08 Outback with projector halogens.

I know you're not supposed to install HID's in a reflector as it's a totally different set up.

But when installed in a halogen projector I had a hard time understanding the difference between a halogen projector and an HID projector.

The HID retrofit has a clear crisp line cut in the headlights and a sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives that whole car a big boost.

To simplify: I would not recommend an HID retrofit without changing to a projector but if you have a projector I don't see an issue with it.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,166 Posts
Beam pattern aside (having been blinded many a time by some idiot child in his "whip" ;)), I've also heard too many stories of electrical problems caused by those kits - and you don't get the leveling function of the OEM which, IIRC, is required by law.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts