Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had experience replacing the power antenna on circa 97 Outbacks? Mine is broken but the cable is still intact in the mast. Is this a dealer part? Any tips on the steps to R/R would be fantastic.
Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have replaced that antenna on my 97 wagon. The motor seized and it would no retract. It was quite an easy project, easy to get at and the dealer part was about $140.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's good news. Any guesses as to whether the mast might be sold without the motor. My motor seems to work ok, just a broken mast.
Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ah, you got me there. I am not sure. I replaced the entire unit because the motor was shot. I dont know if the mast can be replaced separately. Good luck. I think a quick call to the dealer will give you an answer. Even a junk yard may have the part .

·
Submod , ,
3,022 Posts
Does either of you know if it is possible/difficult to put in a power antenna in my 97 LOB which has never had a power antenna?

Do I even want to fuss with such a project?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That may be one of those projects that are more trouble than they are worth. It's probably easy to install the unit, but you will likely have to fish some wire from the ant. to the radio/wiring harness. You may even need a radio deck that is specific to the power ant. as mine activates the mast when the radio is turned on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had to change my antenna mast after I forgot to turn off my radio while in a auto carwash! (I had to tear the mast off to the knub until I could replace.)

You can buy the antenna at any dealer. Fortunately, the replacement mast comes with instructions. There is a plastic cable that pushes and pulls the mast up and down. Once you unscrew the metal knub and retract, you simply need to insert the cable and turn your radio off and on to retract the cable.

One word of caution: Use a wrench or channel locks to remove the metal knub or you may scratch the paint around the antenna area. I have a few scratches frommy operation!

·
Registered
366 Posts
My wagon has the antenna in the rear driver side window, so I have no experience in replacing it on a Subie.

I do however have experience replacing it on a Honda/Acura. It's pretty straight forward, but you can actually get just the mast from eBay. I did a search and found this person selling the whole kit (mast, motor, & wiring): power antenna kit

Subaru antenna search

Universal power antenna search

As you can see, I lubber eBay. :cool:

·
Hokey Pokey Champion
3,594 Posts
Hrm...I dunno how I missed the original post, but I've replaced the mast on my '97 OB. When I bought the car, it had a broken antenna, and they bought a whole motor/antenna replacement, but did not install it. When I went to the dealer to ask how to install it, he explained I only needed the mast, so I exchanged it for a mast, which retails for around $80 I think.

Anyway, as jacman said, there's just a funky nut holding the mast in...you unscrew that (I used a pair of open needle nose plyers - one tip in each slot) and pull out the mast. Turn the radio on, feed the new mast in, turn the radio off, and it pulls it in...voila.

·
Registered
25 Posts
repeated antenna failures

I've had my '97 Outback since 2000. I've put 2-3 antenna's in it already, and now I need another. The motor seems to give every 1-1-5 years. Part and labor at the shop seems to go well over $200.

I'm tired of paying this for an antenna.

I'd like to do some sort of a work-around. I've currently just wrapped a plain wire around the mast and ran it around the back cargo area window. It's ok for FM, but not so great for AM. I get a lot of AM static when the car is running.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how I could improve my jimmy-rigged antenna set-up, or suggestions for the cheapest ways to replace the current antenna?

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Speaking of antennas (which seem to be an issue with Outbacks). Is there a fuse dedicated to the antenna motor? I am brand new to Subaru, and the Outback I just bought (98 Limited) will not raise the antenna. Obviously, I would like to check the simplest (and least costly) solution first before pursuing relays and motors. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
180 Posts
There is probably a fuse for it. Not sure were to look though. My 99 not limited has the antenna on the roof. My guess it would be along with the other fuses on the inside of the car. My mom's caddy has a seperate fuse for it. We had to pull it because the motor went haywire and we didn't want to fix it. If it isn't the fuse, I have no idea sorry.

·
Registered
16,402 Posts
Yes, there is a fuse associated with the power antenna. I don't have the 1998 wiring diagram, but in 1995 it was fuse #22, 15 Amps. The same fuse also powered the AT Shift Control Module. So if the shift control worked (prevents shifting out of Park unless the brake is pressed, and shifting from drive to reverse if the car is moving more than a few mph) then it's likely that the fuse is good.

The antenna is controlled by the radio power switch. If the radio had been replaced by an aftermarket, or by a Subaru radio of another year, it's possible that the replacement doesn't have the extra wiring to control the antenna.

Probably best to get to the antenna motor and measure the voltages at the connector when the radio is turned on and off. If the power and switching appears good, then you know that the motor is probably at fault.

There's a three pin connector at the antenna. One pin goes to ground. Another is connected to 12 V from the fuse. The third goes to the radio, and presumably switches ground for the 12 V through the motor. I believe the motor has internal contacts that control the stop points and direction.

Hope this helps . . .

edit: also checked the 1997 wiring and it's the same as in 1995. Probably the same for 98.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts