Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 OBW H6 with 150k and need to do struts all around. Does this mean the springs need to be replaced as well, or are they usually ok? I got one quote so far from a Subaru shop (not dealer) @ $190 per strut, parts + labor. Sound reasonable? Thanks!

·
Registered
514 Posts
I just replaced the struts in my 2005 OBW with KYB Excel-G's, the struts cost me wholesale about $55 each for the front and less for the back. Of course, you should replace the top strut mounts, especially in the front as they have a bearing in them. Those I had to buy from the dealer for about $90 each for the front and Moog after-market for the rear at about $38 each.

My car has 120,000 miles on it. My front springs were worn a bit where they ride in the perch of the strut (ride in the bottom plate in a contour made to hold the spring in position once decompressed within the strut) - there was a bit of a flattened portion where the round spring riding in the sand and dirt of the perch kind of flattened a bit along one bottom edge of each side, I am sure they are still good for another 120,000 miles, so I opted to NOT replace the springs.

I think the KYB's that I got are a more aggressive strut than OEM, these take bumps and turns a lot better. The OEM's seem to ride like a baby carriage compared to these.

$190 PLUS LABOR is a lot in my mind, however, I have been doing my own repairs on everything anymore, being out of work for so long. I make out better staying home and fixing things than I do working and then paying others to fix things (and half the time they don't get things RIGHT!).:mad:

You may also want to look at your sway bar bushings and end links for front and back. I replaced the front at 60,000 miles and then again at 120,000 miles as they would make a banging type sound with every small bump. I thought something like the struts were loose, come to find out the sway bar bushings were not tight anymore due to all the bumpy roads around here.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, so it sounds like my springs should be ok. I'm guessing the shop will tell me I need them replaced as well so I figured I'd ask here first. I looked into doing it myself but I don't have a garage and don't want to try and do this out in the parking lot. Plus no air tools if things are really stuck. With 150k, they're probably stuck.

·
Registered
514 Posts
You are wise to not try to start this job in a parking lot. I had mine up on jack stands for a month, however, I was in no hurry at all, the car was in my garage, and we have another vehicle we shared. I did all new struts, all new brakes, new calipers, changed all fluids to synthetic, the whole nine yards.

For how much cars cost today, we surely cannot afford to buy a new one, and with all the work I did on it, I sure hope to get another seven years and 120K (or more) miles out of 'her'!

For $38, I bought an Impact Wrench for a compressor I already owned. You are right, there were some nastily-rusted bolts there that I had to remove and, that wrench, even though made in China, really helped A LOT!

·
Registered
981 Posts
50 bucks will get you an electric impact from autozone or harbor freight. I change mine suspension twice a year so i can actually do a whole swap in about 3 hours with just hand tools on a side of the road. 2 hours if i have my floor jack and impact wrench.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
Dodik
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing