Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. My car's suspension is, well, terrible at 146k miles. So, I've decided to go with the '05 KYB front '04 KYB rear replacements and rear spring upgrade (Rallitek or King)... maybe front springs too.

Since I'd rather not go in twice (and I'm a bit OCD I suppose), I'd like to replace what I can while I'm in there (or the shop is in there).

What are the components you guys would suggest looking into changing?

Obviously strut mounts, bump stops, dust boots...

But I'm not a suspension expert at all. So, are there any other parts I should get that make up the assembly? The car was driven in Vermont by original owner for over 100k miles, so I'm thinking bolts could need replacing if they've got a good deal of rust.

But besides just strut/shocks, any other components that can be replaced? Bushings? Control Arm?

Any and all help is appreciated. To be honest, even links to detail about suspension/handling components would be super helpful too.

AND LAST THING!

How much should I expect it to cost the average shop to remove old suspension, reassemble the new one, and install it? Say per corner? Since might decide to do only rears for now if the cost would be prohibitive.

·
Registered
'05 2.5i H4 4-Speed Auto w/Sportshift
514 Posts
If things are really rusted together, you can expect to pay several hundred dollars per corner, if you hire the work to a mechanic's shop.

You will want the struts (both rears are identical, the two fronts are different, being a mirror-image of themselves, right front and left front struts).

How does your front-right CV Axle inner boot look? Being in that location, near the exhaust on some cars, that boot could have failed, flinging black grease all over under there. You can probably see that axle by looking down along the right side of the engine with a good light, from under the hood.

Also, how do your brake rotors look? How about thickness of wear layer on the pads themselves? How are your front and rear stabilizer bushings and end links?

Add to the struts, top mounts for each. More than likely, the rear struts have a fairly simple mount, the fronts may include a bearing if the struts rotate when turning. Be prepared to spend more money on the front strut mounts. Also, make sure you carefully measure between two of the triangulated bolt pattern of the front mounts. I got two sets of mounts, both listed for my car, however the new mounts were smaller than mine. The new ones I was getting were about 4 7/8" from one bolt stud center to another. The original ones in my car measure 5 1/4" from bolt stud center to center. I finally ended up getting the OEM mounts for the front from the dealer.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,693 Posts
^^^ good idea on the DOJ/CV boot inspection.

ball joints and front lower control arm inner and rear (transverse link/ w'ever) bushing. That rear one is liquid filled - on of ours leaked out at ~68K miles. Inspect steering tack bushings, and rack boots.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts