Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After experiencing symptoms of what I now believe to be a failing throttle position sensor I ordered a new one ($94+shipping) and replaced it. This guide is for a '00-'04 H6 Outback, other models and engines may vary. Here is on for $53.

This is the sensor we are going to replace. You can see it fairly well with the engine cover removed but it's hard to access with the airbox in the way.

Start by removing the engine cover. After that, use a flat head screwdriver to loosen the hose clamp to the left of the throttle body air box.

Once it is loose you should be able to pull the intake duct away from the airbox.

From there, use a 10mm socket to remove the two bolts holding the airbox in place.

Next we need to loosen the hose clamp connecting the airbox to the throttle body.

There is a breather hose on the lower left side of the airbox, you need to slide the spring clamp holding it in place down the hose and then pull the hose off of the airbox.

You should now be able to move the airbox assembly to the right side of the engine and out of your way.

You can now unplug the TPS. I also unplugged two more connectors on the front of the throttle body and pulled the wiring harness out of my way to give me more room.

The TPS is held on by two Phillips screws. They are a bit hard to get to with a long screwdriver. I used a Phillips bit in a 1/4 ratchet.

After the two screws are removed the TPS will pull free.

Here is a picture of the old and new TPSs together. They look identical from the outside aside from the white numbers on them. The one I bought is the updated version that it supposed to be less prone to failure. (TSB 11-80-06 MY01-04 Leg-OB H6 Throttle Position Sensor)

My sensor did not come with an o-ring so I reused the one from the old sensor.

The shaft rotated counterclockwise slightly when I removed the TPS, to re-install I rotated the TPS the same direction and pressed it on the shaft and rotated it to index the screw holes.

From there, reassemble everything in the reverse order and you should be good to go. I checked my throttle position with my OBDII scanner and it appears to be functioning properly.

Altogether this took under half an hour. Hopefully the pictures will be able to help someone else replace one. I apologize for some of the out of focus pictures, it was hard to use the DSLR with my left hand while working on things with my right.

-Tim

·
Registered
16,964 Posts
great thread

what symptoms/failure prompted you to do this - just the TSB?

is there a marking or date or? on the 'questionable' parts or is the entire generation affected?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been getting a bucking/shutter/hesitation at freeway speeds (detailed here). From other people's description of their problems with the TPS I figured it was worth a shot to replace it, especially if they have a record of going bad in my mileage range. I don't believe it fixed my issue.

Detailes on the TSB here.

-Tim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
Gypsyma76
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing