Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Outback xt ltd mt
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, I'm new to the Suby family, bought my XT in February and it has been nothing but problems. I have already replaced the Intercooler, the turbo oil return line, o-ring on the power steering pump, suction line and changed the rear diff oil. Because of it's age and mileage, I'm going to tackle the timing belt as soon as I get parts.

I have several oil leak points that I can see: valve cover gasket (passenger side), timing belt cover (shaft seal?), banjo bolt next to the turbo return line, 90 degree hose that comes off the inside of the water pump and the oil cooler/oil cooler gasket.

Here are the leak points:
90 degree hose (you can also see dripping from the bottom of the timing belt cover):

Oil cooler

Passenger side valve cover:

Part of the timing belt cover:

Banjo bolt next to the turbo oil return line:

Here is my to do list:
  • timing belt kit
  • banjo bolt
  • shaft seal(s)? not sure on this, can't see what's going on
  • water pump hose
  • valve cover gaskets (both sides)
  • front diff/transmission oil change (already did rear)
It has 104,000 miles on it. While I'm tearing everything apart, what are some other things I need to check? I've been doing a lot of searching and reading on here and feel much more confident about tackling it. But since I'm going to have all of this apart, I would like to fix as many pain points as possible. I'm also looking for parts suggestions - I have read enough on here not to buy parts sourced from China.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,315 Posts
DO NOT buy a Gates or Dayco kit for this engine. Get AISIN w/Japanese pulleys, water pump and tensioner. The water pump will have AISIN stamped on it. KOYO bearings. SFK bearings are good also.

Cam seals is a good idea. That may be the oil leak around the bottom of the timing cover.

Also a good idea would be the oil cooler gasket. It's orange and the same size as the oil filter gasket. It can be picked up at any part store.

Since the valve covers are leaking, make sure you get spark plug tube seals and you may as well change the plugs while you're at it.

Look close at all the vacuum hoses and connections for the charge piping.

Did you take the screen out of the oil feed banjo bolt for the turbo? Does it have the upgraded feed lines?

·
Registered
2006 Outback xt ltd mt
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DO NOT buy a Gates or Dayco kit for this engine. Get AISIN w/Japanese pulleys, water pump and tensioner. The water pump will have AISIN stamped on it. KOYO bearings. SFK bearings are good also.

Cam seals is a good idea. That may be the oil leak around the bottom of the timing cover.

Also a good idea would be the oil cooler gasket. It's orange and the same size as the oil filter gasket. It can be picked up at any part store.

Since the valve covers are leaking, make sure you get spark plug tube seals and you may as well change the plugs while you're at it.

Look close at all the vacuum hoses and connections for the charge piping.

Did you take the screen out of the oil feed banjo bolt for the turbo? Does it have the upgraded feed lines?
I have not yet looked at the oil feed banjo - I'll add that to my to do list. It does not have the upgraded feed lines. Should I go ahead and upgrade while I'm at it?

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,673 Posts
Gates used to be good, now they are Chinese poo

1 - 5 of 5 Posts