Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Limited 2.5
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday our TPMS started blinking and then went steady. The wheels are all inflated to the proper specs including the spare. The light did not reset after a 2 minute drive. I'll drive it further today, but it may be that one or more of the TPMS sensors batteries have reached the end of their life.
Have you needed to replace your TPMS sensors? What can I expect to pay for OEM parts and installation?

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
2,674 Posts
Seems early for a 2016 but it is also dependent on mileage.

Go to your favorite tire shop and they should have a reader that can interrogate the sensors and even read the battery condition. Discount Tire has always been able to do that for me.

Expect replacement sensors to be around a c-note each, installed. No real need to go OEM, especially since they are just made by someone else anyway.

·
Registered
2016 Limited 2.5
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It might also be the TPMS module. I plan to take it to my local independent tire shop and see what's what. I do have a $500 Goodwill Parts and Servcie coupon from SOB, so once I find out the issue, it will probably go to the dealership for repair/replacement.

·
Registered
05 GT wagon, 09 Spec B, 18 3.6R Outback
1,653 Posts
A piece of black tape over the light works great and is free. My 09' has had a piece of black tape for almost 4 years now. Just after having new tires mounted, the light came on, turn's out I have two dead batteries. I'm not paying someone to dismount the tires and change the sensor. I know how to look at my tires and tell if one has low pressure.

In fact, I may go out to the garage now and check tire pressure, my compressor has 90psi in it.

Reactions: A440

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Could I get a link to the free black tape please? Thanks! 🙃
What, don't you have a roll of electrical tape lying around...everyone in my circle of friends does.

Even if you had to go out to a store and buy one, it's only a couple of dollars...unless you're one of those that doesn't like to support local business and would rather give your money to Amazon. ;)

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
5,283 Posts
What, don't you have a roll of electrical tape lying around...everyone in my circle of friends does.

Even if you had to go out to a store and buy one, it's only a couple of dollars...unless you're one of those that doesn't like to support local business and would rather give your money to Amazon. ;)
Font Poster Rectangle Graphics Logo

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6 Touring
50 Posts
A piece of black tape over the light works great and is free. My 09' has had a piece of black tape for almost 4 years now. Just after having new tires mounted, the light came on, turn's out I have two dead batteries. I'm not paying someone to dismount the tires and change the sensor. I know how to look at my tires and tell if one has low pressure.

In fact, I may go out to the garage now and check tire pressure, my compressor has 90psi in it.
I used to manually check my tire pressures in both cars at least monthly in the past. With TPMS, I often check my pressures once a day when I'd driving to work.

10 days ago I noticed my RR tire was 2 PSI lower than the LR. This was on a Saturday. I was able to get to my local DIscount Tire and they patched a screw hole -- fortunate as I was driving out of town for a wedding the next day. I doubt I would have caught this hole that quickly if I was manually checking my tire pressures.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring XT - Cinnamon Brown Pearl
239 Posts
I used to manually check my tire pressures in both cars at least monthly in the past. With TPMS, I often check my pressures once a day when I'd driving to work.

10 days ago I noticed my RR tire was 2 PSI lower than the LR. This was on a Saturday. I was able to get to my local DIscount Tire and they patched a screw hole -- fortunate as I was driving out of town for a wedding the next day. I doubt I would have caught this hole that quickly if I was manually checking my tire pressures.
Next time try the black tape fix mentioned above - and see if that helps!

·
Registered
142 Posts
My sensor decided to go inop and shows my tire pressure at 24psi, even though it's clearly properly inflated. I've ignored it up to now (been a few weeks), but should probably get the sensor replaced.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
My sensor decided to go inop and shows my tire pressure at 24psi, even though it's clearly properly inflated. I've ignored it up to now (been a few weeks), but should probably get the sensor replaced.

I would wait until you need new tires, and then replace it. If you have a tire pressure gauge, you can verify the correct pressure. It's a good idea to check pressure a couple of times a year.

Reactions: Duncan Heinz

·
Premium Member
486 Posts

When you have it replaced see if the tire shop can clone the bad sensor ID ... that way there's no need to re-flash the info to your car through the ODB2 port.

The lowest price I could find locally was $50.00/tire to replace the sensor and clone the data... For that price I purchased the Autel MaxiTPMS TS-508 from AutoZone on line & it was $209.59 with free shipping on sale and it came with four sensors! So, for about the price I would have paid locally I now own the tool...

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
1,907 Posts
When you have it replaced see if the tire shop can clone the bad sensor ID ... that way there's no need to re-flash the info to your car through the ODB2 port.

The lowest price I could find locally was $50.00/tire to replace the sensor and clone the data... For that price I purchased the Autel MaxiTPMS TS-508 from AutoZone on line & it was $209.59 with free shipping on sale and it came with four sensors! So, for about the price I would have paid locally I now own the tool...
In my opinion, $50 is a pretty good price to replace a sender. For that $209, you still have to pay a tire shop for a four wheel Mount & balance to replace the senders.

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
In my opinion, $50 is a pretty good price to replace a sender. For that $209, you still have to pay a tire shop for a four wheel Mount & balance to replace the senders.
Unless you do it yourself!

In this case I purchased a set of rims for winter tires & wanted a set of cloned sensors ...

·
Registered
2016 Limited 2.5
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got the issue checked at my local Subie dealership. The issue was the right rear sensor. The cost to replace ($330) was much higher than ordering a part on Amazon and having my local independent tire place install. However, I have a $500 goodwill coupon from SOA that has an expiration date, so I figured I might as well use it. I also need new front brakes and rotors, but this I will either do myself, or take to my tire shop. It is currently day 8 of a heat wave here in NJ, so paying someone to do the work while I sip a cool drink sounds like the way to go. :)

·
Registered
2016 Limited 2.5
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not sure. The one I had replaced was approaching the end if its life ~8-10 years. It may have been a bit premature, but I chose not to fight that battle. If/when the others go bad, I will go the Amazon/Independent route to replace.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts