Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Outback 4-AT
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 Outback with a bad case of rear torque bind. I have the parts to replace the clutch plates and Duty C. Looks like a pretty substantial job. I got the following instructions. Would really appreciate it if anyone who has done this before could review them offer advice or comments. Thanks.

1. place car on jack stands,place shifter in neutral and drain trans fluid

2. the exhaust needs to be removed, I would split at joint behind convertor then remove centerpipe and muffler as one piece then disconnect all o2 sensors depending on emissions you either have 2 or 5 sensors then disconnect at heads and bracket and remove y-pipe. next it's the heat shield then drive shaft that need to be removed

3. Now support trans pan with jack and block of wood the width of the pan,you can now remove 6 bolts holding support to body then 4 bolts holding mount to the case.

4. The speed sensor Is next,it's held in case by 1 10mm bolt gently twist and pull up to remove,now the bolts holding transfer case will need to be removed,once removed place drain pan underneath and split case from trans there is plenty of fluid still back there

5. now you can remove the case,the extension shaft may stay attached to reduction gear or shaft will stay in case ,once apart pay close attention to needle bearing and separator bearing for correct orientation

6. remove snap ring from extension hosing to gain access to clutch discs and replace as a set,remember to soak in trans fluid before installing

7. the next part of this job is inspecting reduction gear be aware this may need replacing if damaged,remove reduction gear from trans by gently prying and pulling out,you need to look at reduction gear where clutch discs ride on to see if there are heavy grooves from clutches wearing into it,what happens if this is severely grooved is the clutches hang up on the grooves and stay applied so they need a smooth riding surface sometimes these gloves can be filed down to save you some money.If they are really bad to do the job correctly it will need to be replaced,warning the part that the reduction shaft comes with is the hub the bearing and gear need to be pressed off the old and pressed onto the new. Let's hope it doesn't need the shaft and you can proceed to reassemble in reverse order

·
Registered
1996 Outback 4-AT
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Managed to replace the solenoid and the clutch pack, but we couldn't get the reduction gear out. So I wasn't able to file down the notches in the gear. The torque bind is gone, but you can hear the clutch plates hanging up on the reduction gear. Apparently, you can "gently pry" this gear out, but I am not sure how you would get the leverage to do the prying without damaging the transfer case or the parts in it. May have to go back in if this cold weather ever passes.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
Those reduction gears are hard to get out, I've only removed them with the trans out of the car and fortunately haven't had to do it with the trans in the car, but i wouldn't want to. It'll seem like it doesn't come out forever and you'll swear it doesn't, then you'll post another thread to make sure...and eventually somehow it comes off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts