Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 Outback VDC Wagon
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

As I prepare to do a EZ30D swap in my 2001 VDC, has anyone had experience (or anecdotal experience) with JDM importers know of any reputable (or non-reputable) companies?

I realize that it's difficult to corner the market for 10 year old JDM used engines, but someone who compression tests/verifies their engines and actually stands behind them would be a plus.

For the experienced JDM swappers, what companies have you used? Any success stories? I obviously want to purchase from someone reputable to avoid further trouble.

Anything I should check when I receive my engine to make sure it's "OK"? I assume compression testing it would be a good start, though I am unfamiliar on how to do that with the bare engine (pressurize the cylinders manually and see if they hold?).

As always, thanks for your help guys, the responses I get are what make this forum hands down the BEST resource for Subaru Outback owners on the internet :smile2:

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,429 Posts
Some places clean them when they get them so its hard to tell. Most of the JDM motors are good though. I recommend using a seller who is physcially close to you to save on freight and if there are issues.

Ask how much for the trans too and swap both! It should be a VTD trans is a direct swap for your VDC Outback.

·
Registered
01 OUTBACK VDC H6
39 Posts
I just purchased and installed a JDM EZ30 H6 in my 01 VDC. Bought it for $750CDN which is about $500US. The only issue is that I wish I had changed the valve cover gaskets before the install. The passenger side was leaking bad. Motor had been cleaned so well it was impossible to tell. Motor was sold without accessories--ie. no power steering, starter, etc. I don't know where you are located but they are in Brampton Ontario near Toronto. Their web is: Globaljdm.com, phone 905 460-9797 . I found them on Kijiji.ca

Bob (Subaru Forever)

·
Registered
2005 Outback R LL Bean 3.0 H6 w/ 5 speed sport shift
597 Posts
Hey everyone,

As I prepare to do a EZ30D swap in my 2001 VDC, has anyone had experience (or anecdotal experience) with JDM importers know of any reputable (or non-reputable) companies?

I realize that it's difficult to corner the market for 10 year old JDM used engines, but someone who compression tests/verifies their engines and actually stands behind them would be a plus.

For the experienced JDM swappers, what companies have you used? Any success stories? I obviously want to purchase from someone reputable to avoid further trouble.

Anything I should check when I receive my engine to make sure it's "OK"? I assume compression testing it would be a good start, though I am unfamiliar on how to do that with the bare engine (pressurize the cylinders manually and see if they hold?).

As always, thanks for your help guys, the responses I get are what make this forum hands down the BEST resource for Subaru Outback owners on the internet :smile2:
I bought mine from a dealer in Richardson Texas and I got a winner! The internal parts were like they just came off the production line!

You will find if you are looking at an engine that doesn't have a transmission attached, you'll have a hard time getting a compression test video. Some have reported that some suppliers have modified the bell housings that can be attached so the starter can be used.

Like others are saying, if you can find a distributor close to where you live, that would be the preferred location to do business with. However, you'll find in the purchase agreement/contract that if you don't use a certified mechanic to do the install, the warranty isn't valid.
Expect that if the engine is shipped, it will have some sensors and such broken from the removal and transport.

I've had my engine for about 8 months and driven it about 10 K miles. I couldn't be happier with the quality! I paid $1350 delivered to my door for my Gen 3 H6.

Good Luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts