Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2010 outback with the CVT automatic transmission. I got a smoking deal on it because I need an engine. I am a mechanic and not worried about replacing it but I want y’all’s opinion on best places to buy used or rebuilt engine.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,052 Posts
JDM importers have the same spec EJ253 for 2010-12 outbacks/legacys for $1200-1500.

you can also get one from a junk yard or pick / pull,...lots of that series landed in the junk yards early from transmission problems. so you might find a low miles one on the cheap.
(either way: toss on a Aisin timing belt kit, new NGK plugs, and ready to run).

Reactions: flipit0802

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got one from a JDM importer they said it had 40k miles on it but who knows. they said they would install it for 700bucks so that worked for me and it has been running great. I now own 2 of the gen 4 outbacks and think really like them

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,052 Posts
I got one from a JDM importer they said it had 40k miles on it but who knows. they said they would install it for 700bucks so that worked for me and it has been running great. I now own 2 of the gen 4 outbacks and think really like them
JDM shops usually say 40,000 to 60,000 miles on engines. and $700 for a swap seems pretty good, and you did not have to deliver the engine anywhere.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts