Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback Premium 2.5 with AW and Moonroof
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering the purchase of a new Outback and plan to replace the Harman Kardon system with an aftermarket setup. How much should I ask for the factory head unit, speakers, etc. as a complete package? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
814 Posts
I'm considering the purchase of a new Outback and plan to replace the Harman Kardon system with an aftermarket setup. How much should I ask for the factory head unit, speakers, etc. as a complete package? Thanks or any help!
I might be interested in the speakers, my cars pass front speaker is blown and dealer won't fix under warranty. I'm not interested In aftermarket as our Outback is my wife's daily driver.

PM me if you end up selling this stuff or part it out individually.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited, EyeSight & Nav.
565 Posts
I might be interested in the speakers, my cars pass front speaker is blown and dealer won't fix under warranty. I'm not interested In aftermarket as our Outback is my wife's daily driver.

PM me if you end up selling this stuff or part it out individually.
I once blew a speaker (front driver) in a Subaru that was still under the original warranty. It should be covered. Have you written SOA and told them that your dealer has refused to replace this speaker? Have you tried another dealer?

·
Registered
'11 2.5i Premium PZEV
271 Posts
If I recall correctly the HK adds about $1300 to MSRP on those models where it is an option (not standard).

It is a system designed for 2010+ Subaru Legacy and Outback (right?), so that limits your resale market. Plus you're not going to find many Subaru owners willing to shell out anywhere near $1300 for a system that's been pulled out its original vehicle - even if it has been sparingly used and is in perfect shape.

If I ever upgrade from my base system I don't think I would even consider buying a HK system that had been pulled out. The aftermarket just gives a lot better bang for my buck.

But to answer your question, I would think asking $500 would be a good place to start. :8:

·
Registered
2016 3.6R Limited
348 Posts
I don't want to poop on your parade, but some folks might be shy about adding the system to their OB because of the infamous hiss http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-present/34055-harmon-kardon-audio-hiss.html

$500 does sound reasonable if you assure folks it is hiss free.
What's crazy is you can put together an aftermarket setup for that price range that completely eclipses the H/K version. Coming from the dealer at that price is one thing, but if the new owners have to install it themselves - why wouldn't they go aftermarket?

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,322 Posts
Mine has the hiss (technically), but it’s very faint/unobtrusive unless you’re looking for it. And being the wife’s car, who doesn’t hear it, it’s not so much a deal breaker. It doesn’t have HW adjustments so you can’t tweak it but from the SW/EQ, it’s designed OEM plug/play.<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p
tai-g makes a good point. It’s only feasible to the OB Base/Prem, and to those interested in OEM look/setup. For one, you lose/won’t-have BT steering controls.
To make it really attractive you would have to develop a plug/play installation. IOW, adapting it to the Base/Prem. Since you’re going to gut it anyway, compile/archive the swap (wiring/connectors/panels/removal/console/dash/trunk/seats/schematics/etc.)<O:p</O:p
Numbers… My HK/AWP pkg was ~$1.5K Sticker, less discounts/negotiations it’s ~$0.9K for the HK at best. Used, limited market/application, you’re now at ~$500 Street. The pkg would include head/dash/amp/speakers/sub.

·
Registered
557 Posts
i would be surprised if you were able to sell at $500.

but, all it takes in one person, right?!

and that would be someone who wants the OE look or removed their OE setup and selling their car and wants to retain their aftermarket head unit.

best starting point would be... $500 OBO.

good luck.

joel

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6 Limited
213 Posts
ha...Taiguy nailed it. Just hold on to it...because if you trade-in down the road in a few years you get more resell value with OEM equip and you can either sell the aftermarket or flip in new Subie.

·
Registered
'13 Ouback 3.6 limited
63 Posts
I'm considering the purchase of a new Outback and plan to replace the Harman Kardon system with an aftermarket setup. How much should I ask for the factory head unit, speakers, etc. as a complete package? Thanks or any help!
What aftermarket setup did you decide on?

·
Registered
2013 Outback Premium 2.5 with AW and Moonroof
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not sure........

but I think I want to go with one of the Kenwood head units with Garmin nav. I need to figure out the rest and I'm open to suggestions. Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also have my OEM setup for sale. Non-NAV HK from 2013 limited 3.6R. I am having an install done in 2 days. JVC head unit, PhoenixGold and Focal speakers, Alpine Amp, Alpine 10" sub, 4 guage wiring, custom faceplate, dyna-mat on all metal in doors. It will run around 3250.00 to 3400.00 depending on labor time. The estimate is 8.5 to 10.5 hours for the gut and install. I will retain steering wheel controls, Sirius and bluetooth. Also will have I-phone GPS motive-X, Pandora and traffic apps. (KW-AV70BT) JVC head unit.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,179 Posts
keep it just in case u want to put back it.

otherwise here is a good starting point.
I agree with N8thesk8.
I dont think you would get much for it - I would keep it to put back in if you sell the car unless you really change things when you buy the aftermarket stuff. And checking ebay for pricing reference is the first thing Id do too.

I should have taken a photo of what I did with my 6CD changer unit that came with my 2003 Limited OB. After Subaru replacing it 4 times - each time CDs would get stuck in a month or so - and the 3rd time they lost all 6 of my CDS as they had to send it elsewhere - they didnt remove them at the dealer (one CD was very rare and irreplaceable as I worked in music studios and it was one of a kind) and were NOT very apologetic about it - believe me the dealer heard from me about it, so the 4th time my CDs got stuck, I took the unit out myself, took the CDs out myself -and smashed the head unit into a....well a LOT of pieces. Then I mailed it back to Subaru.
I bought a Clarion aftermarket that NEVER got my CDS stuck and had an aux input for when I went the ipod route.
I missed the weatherband radio though.

BTW, nice picture N8thesk8
I just QUOTED Tool on a post on here 2 days ago!

·
Registered
'13 Ouback 3.6 limited
63 Posts
I also have my OEM setup for sale. Non-NAV HK from 2013 limited 3.6R. I am having an install done in 2 days. JVC head unit, PhoenixGold and Focal speakers, Alpine Amp, Alpine 10" sub, 4 guage wiring, custom faceplate, dyna-mat on all metal in doors. It will run around 3250.00 to 3400.00 depending on labor time. The estimate is 8.5 to 10.5 hours for the gut and install. I will retain steering wheel controls, Sirius and bluetooth. Also will have I-phone GPS motive-X, Pandora and traffic apps. (KW-AV70BT) JVC head unit.
Pics please when completed.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,179 Posts
I was going to, but I replaced the speakers first. That improved the sound so much that I decided it was not worth replacing the radio.
indeed - replacing speakers from those included in a car will ALWAYS improve the sound much more before changing any other part.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts