Subaru Outback Forums banner

Reset Trunk Code

13K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  RtlsnkSteve 
#1 ·
Hello,

My daughter recently got the Outback and attended a class on how to use the features. During the process, the person teaching the class set her 5 digit trunk code for keyless entry. When my daughter went to open it a few weeks later (after deactivating her fob and locking her keys in the car) it seems that the code is not the code she asked her to program. We tried the whole set up process over again to reset but that didn't work. Does anyone know how to change the pass code of the trunk if you don't know what the original pass code is? The person at the dealership doesn't recall what she entered. Any help would be appreciated.

Michele

#2 ·
Simply repeat the PIN code registration process described in the owner’s manual. The new PIN code will overwrite the old one.

For my 2017 Outback this is found on pages 2-22 and 2-23.

Good luck!

PS: Make the code something meaningful that is easy to remember for your daughter...

#3 ·
Sorry to hear your daughter's problems, but there are valuable lessons here. We learn from our mistakes. More conveniently (for us, not for them), we can learn from others' mistakes, too.

Trust, but verify. Try the unlock procedure at the time the code is set.

This checks that 1) the code is actually what you think it is, and, 2) you know how to correctly do the unlock procedure.

Trying this again before locking keys in the car is probably not a bad idea, either, to be sure you still remember 1) the code, and, 2) the procedure. At least if it's been a while since the last time.

#4 ·
... We tried the whole set up process over again to reset but that didn't work...
I didn't realize that you already tried to reset the PIN code...

Is it possible that you did not correctly follow the PIN code registration instructions? I just tried it on my Outback and I was able to change the PIN without a problem.

The steps that caused me grief in the beginning was that I had to press the lock button on the FOB, and then press and hold the rear lock button until the chirping sounds started. In the beginning I did not keep both buttons depressed, but things started to work as expected when I kept both buttons depressed at the same time...

#6 ·
We tried to reset by repeating the whole process but that didn't work. Makes sense because otherwise, anyone that found your fob could reset the trunk code without knowing the previous code.

I've successfully set up trunk codes before because my husband has the same car and we've set up his.

There's a trick! I just don't know what that trick is yet. Thank you for your reply. I'll keep searching.

Michele

#9 ·
We tried to reset by repeating the whole process but that didn't work. Makes sense because otherwise, anyone that found your fob could reset the trunk code without knowing the previous code.

If someone has your FOB they won't need the code :smile2: . Maybe you should just take it to a dealer and let them try, if they can't do it either it would indicate a problem with the car or the FOB.

#7 ·
Hello, this was actually the video we used to set up the trunk code for my husband's Crosstrek. Unfortunately with my daughter's car, the person at the dealership set the wrong code and repeating this set up process is not overriding the incorrect code. I'm trying to find a way to reset the car to allow us to change the pin code. This video was super helpful for the initial set up though. Thanks your your efforts!

#8 ·
We will be more careful next time if we can ever figure out how to reset it. Still searching for the answer. I'm wondering if the reset process involves having to enter the previous code. That's what I'm afraid of. Nobody has any idea what was sent as a original code.

#10 ·
According to the MY 2015 owner's manual p.2-22:

When you try to register “22222”, the registered PIN code will be deleted. You cannot unlock the doors by PIN Code Access until a new code is registered.
The manual encourages changing the code frequently. I don't see anything in there about re-entering or clearing the old code, but maybe give that a try. I don't know if the system changed between 2015 and now. What does your owner's manual say?

On that same page:

You cannot unlock by PIN Code Access in the following cases.
– when the access key is within the operating ranges
– when the ignition switch is in the “ACC” or “ON” position
Is the presence of the fob in the vicinity of the car preventing the code from working?

My car doesn't have this feature, otherwise, I'd try it out.

#14 ·
According to the MY 2015 owner's manual p.2-22:

The manual encourages changing the code frequently. I don't see anything in there about re-entering or clearing the old code, but maybe give that a try. I don't know if the system changed between 2015 and now. What does your owner's manual say?

On that same page:

Is the presence of the fob in the vicinity of the car preventing the code from working?

My car doesn't have this feature, otherwise, I'd try it out.

My manual says the old code can be erased by entering 22222, but I think if you enter a new code it will replace the old one.

Mine won't work if my fob is near the car, tried it yesterday.

It seems to me if I don't give my code to anyone and don't write it down I should never have to change it. I will set it to 22222 if/when I sell or trade the car.

#11 ·
OK, I know this sounds obvious and maybe condescending, but I'm humbly speaking from experience.:rolleyes: Make sure you are pressing the key code button and not the door open/close button. The key code button is the smaller button about 6 inches to the right of the door open/close button.

Beary

#12 ·
A word of warning / insight.

My 2018 Outback's Owner's Manual "recommends" a five digit code. I tried three times to program a four digit code. No dice. Success if I went to five digits. Five digits required as opposed to "recommended", as far as I can tell. Happy to be corrected!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.