Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm new to the Subaru, so I'm learning. I just bought a 2018 Outback Limited.

I would like to reset my Ave. Fuel consumption, but it is a little confusing. Admittedly I'm use to other vehicles, but:

I can only reset the Ave Fuel with the car off?
And the ignition in ACC? (I have push button ignition)
AND, that also resets the A or B Trip meters?

So I gather I can't reset the Ave Fuel or "A and B" Trip meters while the car is running? Is that right?

Sometimes I like to leave the trip meter running for a whole trip without reset, but I would like to reset the AVE FUEL between gas refills. Can I do that?

Thanks ahead for any guidance and wisdom?

Beary

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,166 Posts
Sometimes I like to leave the trip meter running for a whole trip without reset, but I would like to reset the AVE FUEL between gas refills. Can I do that?
The 'A' and 'B' trip meters are independent. I generally reset 'A' at each fill-up, and use 'B' for trips.

·
Banned
2017 Outback
179 Posts
Hi all. I'm new to the Subaru, so I'm learning. I just bought a 2018 Outback Limited.

I would like to reset my Ave. Fuel consumption, but it is a little confusing. Admittedly I'm use to other vehicles, but:

I can only reset the Ave Fuel with the car off? NO
And the ignition in ACC? (I have push button ignition)
AND, that also resets the A or B Trip meters?

So I gather I can't reset the Ave Fuel or "A and B" Trip meters while the car is running? Is that right? NO

Sometimes I like to leave the trip meter running for a whole trip without reset, but I would like to reset the AVE FUEL between gas refills. Can I do that? YES, decide on one or the other for the total trip, and the other for fills
simply hold the button in until it resets, it will show - - for a few miles before it starts displaying
then press it once and it will toggle to the other meter, again, hold it in until it resets to - -

Thanks ahead for any guidance and wisdom?

Beary

hope that helps

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
971 Posts
I've reset my A meter while in motion, so you should be able to reset it with the engine running while parked.

In my VWs, Trip A would auto reset after being parked about 2 hours, while Trip B required a manual reset. So I got in the habit of B being my fuel tank mileage and A just being any time I want to track a specific trip or segment.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, I think I understand. After I start the engine (and while driving), I push the A/B TRIP RESET and hold until the A or B I selected resets to zero, which will also reset my Average fuel consumption.

Sound right?

So, if I'm following directions out in the middle of nowhere to stay on a road for 1.6 miles before turning, and I push Reset to zero out A or B to track the 1.6 distance, I will also have also reset my AVE Fuel consumption.

Beary

·
Registered
Outback 2018 2.5i Premium
169 Posts
Press and hold A or B will reset that trip to zero. The reset works with key on, started or driving.

There is no separate reset function for MPG (I assume you are calling that consumption). It resets automatically with the A or B trip reset. That's why most of us reset A for short trips and only reset B when tank is filled. A then gives MPG for that particular trip while B gives the MPG on that tank. Be aware that the accuracy of those readouts may not be perfect.

The "distance to empty" value is somehow (??) a combination of the fuel gauge level and whatever the computer calculates your current MPG is. There is no resetting for that...at least not that I know of. There are extensive postings on this forum about the distance to empty function (and it's accuracy) if you care to search for it.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Limited
143 Posts
Theres this giant book that came with your car called the Owners Manual. It contains step by step information on how to do what you are asking.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,305 Posts
Theres this giant book that came with your car called the Owners Manual. It contains step by step information on how to do what you are asking.
The key there is "giant".
It's far easier to just come here and ask a question. You usually get an answer and also get the entertainment value reading the posts of those who are triggered by someone not reading the manual before asking a question. Same thing applies to the search function.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Limited
143 Posts
The key there is "giant".
It's far easier to just come here and ask a question. You usually get an answer and also get the entertainment value reading the posts of those who are triggered by someone not reading the manual before asking a question. Same thing applies to the search function.
Luckily someone thought of this issue too, and they created the index in the manual so you dont have the read the whole thing at once.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,380 Posts
It's far easier to just come here and ask a question. You usually get an answer and also get the entertainment value reading the posts of those who are triggered by someone not reading the manual before asking a question.
You must be pretty starved for entertainment.:smile2:

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,514 Posts
Wrong. The 2015 book has very brief and incomplete information as to MPG reset. Your sarcasm is the result of an empty mind.
How is it incomplete? What the "Average fuel consumption screen" looks like and what it means is spelled out in adequate detail on p.3-35 in the Instruments and controls chapter of the manual:

"This screen displays the average rate of fuel
consumption since the trip meter was last
reset
." [Emphasis added]

Instructions for resetting the trip meter are spelled out in detail on p.3-9 in that same chapter, which includes a picture showing the location of the Trip reset switch and what it looks like:

<Instructions for switching between A trip and B trip selection>

"To set the trip meter to zero, select the A
trip or B trip meter by pressing the trip
reset switch and keep the switch pressed
for more than 2 seconds."

Plus the apparently required admonition not to do this while driving.

The manual is already thick enough. What more should it say?

[Edit to add] Oh, yeah... welcome to the forum! (I think...)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts