Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received the Subaru performance exhaust I ordered and am installing it tommorow. With it was a note stating the ECM must be reset per the service manual (which I don't own yet). I have a 2004 Outback with the 2.5. If anyone out there has a manual and could give me the procedures to reset the ECM it would be appreciated. Thanks, Grumpy.

·
Registered
73 Posts
How to Reset the ECU

To reset the ECU, pop the hood. The take off the negative battery cable off the battery and wait about 1-2 minutes. Then put the negative battery cable back on and start the car and drive it around a bit...

Hope this helps.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Disconnect the Neg like he said^^^^ then press on the brake pedal a couple times to discharge any stored power. Then they say to restart the car, let it idle for about ten minutes until it reaches normal operating temp, then drive it like you stole it.

Or, under your new driving style/conditions, it will learn anyway, it will just take longer. Brian

·
Registered
153 Posts
Can't you just disconnect the neg wire from the ECU itself? It should be in the engine bay somewhere? By disconnecting the neg on the battery, don't you lose you clock and radio presets? Just a thought.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
Then there's that silly business of having to lock and unlock the doors with the remote, or the parking lights will keep flashing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
resetting the ecm and the curse of the blinking parking lites

Hyperthetically speaking, what if I've reset my ECM and discovered that it does indeed make the parking lites blink. Hyperthetically speaking, my next move would be to search on 'blinking parking lites'. It seems that this gets everyone at least once and the solution is easy to do IF YOU HAVE A FOB. Hyperthetically speaking, what would be the next step to reset the parking lites without owning a fob. Actually I think its funny to but I hope the answer is not to get one. It'll stink removing the neg battery cable everytime I park the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
6 Participants
kriscokid
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing